Why become a member? ×

Anybody have experirnce with a Yamaha TRBX 605? (or 604)

Rib13Bass

I just ordered one. I was looking for a balance between budget, looks, flexibility, and tone (particularly Modern Tone capability using Roundwounds)......Probably too late to ask being I just ordered it, but if you have one or play one, please share. Thanks

trbx.jpg.029dfcf93082b36b71d46030ee5e255f.jpg

• Like 1

On active, the bass and the mids step on each others toes — if you add mids, you'll need to back off the bass, and vice versa.

The character is very polite. Be prepared to do a lot of experimentation with different strings to find the ones that bring it life for you. With hindsight, I wish I had tried DR Nickel Lo-Riders before I sold it. Flats gave the sound depth, but the bass made their earthy side seem clumsy.

The sound with the blend at the centre detente is very bland, but either side of that are a couple of sweet spots. Plenty of owners report playing it on 100% neck / passive.

The build quality is a real joy, and living in the same space as the dark redburst was a delight. The body shape is very comfortable. On the 4-string, the neck specs are identical to those of the equivalent Ibanezes.

• Like 2

The strings that worked best for me on the one I had, sold to thin the herd, were DR Hi Beams and EB Cobalt Rounds. The advice you got above regarding the preamp is gold. This bass is also very sensitive to pickup height. Don’t be afraid to experiment with the setup. Build quality is very good on these basses. 

• Like 1

I had a 504, which looking at the spec is very similar. 

The build quality was very good, although I could never get the action as low as on my Ibanez SR300. Very comfortable to play. The big down side were the pickups and electronics. I played around with it a fair bit but it was a very bland sounding bass, it just lacked something.

• Like 2