Why become a member? ×

Passive Sterling Stingray volume differential.

warwickhunt

Just picked up a short scale Sterling by Musicman Stingray... the neo pup passive jobbie with the push/push volume pot.  I was aware this was a (faux) volume boost and various youtube reviews (Andertons & Lobster) seemed to indicate this was a subtle boost (or cut as it really is).  However, the bass I've received has a BIG gain/volume differential and I wondered if this was normal?  

The differential is so great that there is no way you would engage it to make up for any perceived differential between any of the 3 pup selections, it is that big that no matter which pup selection is made it feels more like a 3-6db lift (massive).

@warwickhunt I have similar electronics in my Stingray Tim Commerford long scale. The cut/boost push pull is indeed a large change, volume wise. I have taken that bass to a couple of jam sessions and via both an Ashdown class D set up and a Fender Rumble 100 combo, used the normal setting with the push/pull out (i.e not cut) to get a decent volume at the way the house amp was set up. It’s even more noticeable in series mode on the pick up! 

I have used it once or twice in a gig through my Mark Bass rig, with the bass and amp set up for normal playing and sound in the ‘cut’, i.e. attenuated mode, and activated the control for a solo. It’s actually quite effective - I found it difficult to remember to change it back after the solo!! Usually, I simply play the bass in the louder variant. 

Edited by drTStingray

5 minutes ago, drTStingray said:

@warwickhunt I have similar electronics in my Stingray Tim Commerford long scale. The cut/boost push pull is indeed a large change, volume wise. I have taken that bass to a couple of jam sessions and via both an Ashdown class D set up and a Fender Rumble 100 combo, used the normal setting with the push/pull out (i.e not cut) to get a decent volume at the way the house amp was set up. It’s even more noticeable in series mode on the pick up! 

I'll hold off on judgements as to how I'm likely to use it till I hear it in the full band setting but the output variation does defo seem to act very differently with certain amps.