Why become a member? ×

Vt Bass Deluxe Bass/Telecaster idea?

dunnymod

Hi all - I might be asking the wrong crowd here but I will try anyway... 

I'm currently in a trio that is soon to become a duo, and as such I will need to play some electric guitar as well as bass. 

I currently use the VT Bass deluxe with my bass and all is well. My question is - would I be able to plug an electric guitar into the 'B' channel of the deluxe and get useable results out of the PA, as you do with a bass sound? 

I will be returning to guitar from a 18 year stint of playing bass exclusively, so technology and pedals have changed massively since I last looked. My suggestion seems like an easy solution, but can't find any evidence if this being done online, so like I say any advice is helpful. I naively thought that guitar would just be the same as bass and a preamp pedal would do the lot, but it seems like a right mess in to go 'ampless' if you play guitar. 

The singer is currently on holiday so won't get to try it myself for a couple of weeks. 

Cheers 

The VT needs a little more tweaking for guitar sounds than the Tech 21 preamps designed for it, but yes you should be able to get something usable. Luckily you can save the presets too so won't need to change them between instruments. I'd recommend some kind of ambience or reverb in the loop as it might be quite dry-sounding out front.

• Like 2

Absolutely 

I did something similar with a BDDI Deluxe. 

At one point I had my bass going into channel A, and the output from a ABY into channel B.

Into the ABY was a synth and a guitar. I had two presets allocated to the guitar, and one for the synth. 

It worked well.

• Like 1

I would consider something like the Zoom B14: small, cheap, programmable, and sounds pretty good! You can have a preset for guitar and another for bass easily. Or many of each. It looks like you can import FX from other similar units online, so if you get the B14 (bass) you can still import guitar-oriented models, and if you get the G14 import bass oriented models, but you can get decent guitar sounds from the B14 for sure (I've got one).

zoom-b1-four-bass-multi-effects-pedal-81

About £70-80 new, but often found used around £50

• Like 1