Why become a member? ×

Can you give us tips on our sound/ balance

Bloc Riff Nut

Hello Bass Chat, 

I'd be grateful for some tips for our onstage sound. How's the balance etc. As far as the bass tone goes it's pretty straight forward:  P-bass with flats into a Trace valve amp(Twin Valve).The song in the video is played towards the end of the first set. We didn't have a sound guy but did get to check our levels with the first song which was an instrumental. 

As a side note our drummer moved to sax and our new drummer was playing with us for the 4th time. 

Cheers. 

Phil. 

https://youtu.be/Pb9TcxXSEsI

• 1 month later...

Your mix isn't bad at all, I've heard a lot worse. It's almost impossible to mix perfectly from behind the line as you'll find you play and sing with more energy as you warm up. I agree that keys are a bit forward, but it's not awful. I might have pulled the vocalist back a tiny bit but that might be taste. You do want vocals forward it's just a question of how much. The biggest issue for me was the backing vocals. They are both moving their heads on and off the mic so you aren't getting a consistent sound and they pull away before they've finished the note. I struggle with that myself, you try to put energy into the rest of the performance and forget to centre for the doo-wops. It's probably not far off when they address the mic properly but most of the BV's are too quiet.

Set up with something simple you all do everything on, not an instrumental, embarrassingly we use Teenage kicks but it's simple enough that they keep going when the bass stops for me to adjust and we all sing on that.