Why become a member? ×

GK legacy combo issues - brand new.

Brucegill

Just got a GK Legacy 800w 1x15 combo in.

Unfortunately it’s got a really noisy horn, almost unusable on high or low, all fine set to off. Fortunately I prefer it off anyway, but not really the tolerable on a new amp

also a really weird fizz/whooshing noise on the decay of deeper notes. Only notice it if you let a note decay. 

sending it back, although I’m having to push for them to collect at the moment. price did seem too good to be true 🤣

Just wanted to check if these sort of faults are common?

Sounds great apart from these issues. Also like the 1x15 more than I thought I would. It’s got way more power than I need Though…. 

any alternatives I should look at?

The amp sounds great. Maybe go for a used head and another cab? 

Edited by Brucegill

10 hours ago, Lozz196 said:

Cheap & nasty tweeter most likely, I’ve had this happen in a couple of cabs and once the tweeter was replaced with a better one the problem stopped.

make sense, though I’d hope not as these retail at £1600. Maybe I’m being naive? 

Edited by Brucegill

I have the 1x15 GK Neo cab with tweeter and its essentially the same speaker box spec as the Legacy 1x15 combo. The horn works very well in my cab, doesn't hiss or fizz and is quite controlable using a knob on the back. I'd be inclined to send the combo back for either a replacement or maybe something else. It sounds like the amp isn't quite working as it should🤨

• Like 1

@DGBass
Many thanks. It’s doesn’t sound right for sure, but good to know they don’t all sound like that.  The Fizz isn’t from the horn, it’s on the bassy notes as the decay. I can hear it better from the back the amp oddly (went looking to see if something was loose). On its way back to the seller on Monday. 

Edited by Brucegill
  • Like 1

One thing I've noticed with some GK amps is that the input sensitivity is quite high and having the input gain anywhere above 12 o'clock can actually overdrive the stage causing a weird fizzy distortion that sounds like the speaker is blown even at low volume. It can happen with a passive bass easy enough. The trick is to back of the input and use the master. Not saying thats what you have but might be of interest to try if the combo isn't already in its return box🙂

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DGBass said:

One thing I've noticed with some GK amps is that the input sensitivity is quite high and having the input gain anywhere above 12 o'clock can actually overdrive the stage causing a weird fizzy distortion that sounds like the speaker is blown even at low volume. It can happen with a passive bass easy enough. The trick is to back of the input and use the master. Not saying thats what you have but might be of interest to try if the combo isn't already in its return box🙂

ill try that! I just set it full like they suggest so it only clips on really heavy hits. Thanks!