Why become a member? ×

NBD...

PaulThePlug

I'd been 'Following Form' on Facebook Market Place...

Time Rich but Money Poor i set of on a 60 mile nearly 4 hour round trip to Borehamwood... Could of done it in half-ish the time, at double the distance, M25, M1... But that would of cost over 4x as much plus the bridge toll in the car, so it was the 'lil 125 scoot 15 miles in to Central London, then 15 miles out the other side... and back.

Returned with a neglected Squier P, Affinity Indonesia '04, In Black, with a few dents, dinks and donks, 2 strings, and a manky rosewood fretboard...

All apart...

Fretboard de-gunk with Isoprop and 0000 wire wool, then a lemon oiling... Frets got a 0000 wire wool-ing, followed by Dremel and Auto-sol polish... Back of the neck got a sanding with 3 grades of Halfords Sanding Sponge to remove the lacquer, headstock sanded... Neck bees-waxed, Cheeky Decal and a couple of coats of lacquer... Tuners and Bridge dismantled cleaned and back together.

Edited by PaulThePlug
  • Like 2

Couple of issues to sort...

The Kent Armstrong pickups (i got a deal on when doing the Ibby Passive P, which got Maida Vale Low Rider Alnico IV...) are Alnico, hence no magnet on the bottom and the sponge blocks i've got are two thin to hold the bobbin in the cover... Need thicker foam.

20230623_131436_resized.thumb.jpg.2ab84ef6a25d5cdf4f83f67b2decb7bc.jpg

Edited by PaulThePlug

45 minutes ago, PaulThePlug said:

I'd been 'Following Form' on Facebook Market Place...

Time Rich but Money Poor i set of on a 60 mile nearly 4 hour round trip to Borehamwood... Could of done it in half-ish the time, at double the distance, M25, M1... But that would of cost over 4x as much plus the bridge toll in the car, so it was the 'lil 125 scoot 15 miles in to Central London, then 15 miles out the other side... and back.

Returned with a neglected Squier P, Affinity Indonesia '04, In Black, with a few dents, dinks and donks, 2 strings, and a manky rosewood fretboard...

All apart...

Fretboard de-gunk with Isoprop and 0000 wire wool, then a lemon oiling... Frets got a 0000 wire wool-ing, followed by Dremel and Auto-sol polish... Back of the neck got a sanding with 3 grades of Halfords Sanding Sponge to remove the lacquer, headstock sanded... Neck bees-waxed, Cheeky Decal and a couple of coats of lacquer... Tuners and Bridge dismantled cleaned and back together.

Hey !!!! You know the rules !!!

Rummage thru the odds 'n sods uncovered a few sets of pre-used strings... was looking for Rounds for this... every set except one were cut 2+2 ala Ibby SR... So strung up with the only set of 4 In-Line strings i could find, which happen to be Rounds... and this happens!..

20230623_162139.thumb.jpg.d0364588fc27ca262a6906216cbb1116.jpg

Core on the E had snapped at the peg, so Tuning-Up just stretched the wrap... AR$E!

Now gotta sort a set of rounds... £$€ ☹

EDIT: Cut of the broken bit... and with a short bit down the hole, got a turn and a half-is around the peg.. SAVED!

Edited by PaulThePlug

• 1 month later...

Update: The Artec QTP... BIG Jump in tone from '0 - Bypass' to '1 - Extra High Cut' as described by... Like going from open to half-way on a pot...  I checked i was using the Bass connection, not the other one.

I'm wondering if Bypass, like wiring Vol straight to jack, is the same as a Tone Pot (250k) on Zero? - Is the 250k effectively across the pickup.. what about the effect of the Cap still being in line?

Maybe the QTP just doesn't suit the Kent Armstong's character...

So swapped the tone switch out for an Alpha B250k and 47u... standard.

Other than that, i'm very much enjoying it. 😁

The Pure Tone Double Contact Jack Socket... real nice mechanical engineering feel to pluggin' in... If ya moddin' fit one while ya in there.

Edited by PaulThePlug

• 3 months later...

Update: Squier P has been moaning that the Ibby's have been getting nice pickups and the like, and copt the hump... Little did it know that a BWB Scratchplate was winging its way from the Far East curtesy of Ali Express for £Fiver... Call it an early Christmas Pressie... and rather fine it looks too, way better than the single ply white

20231205_212943.thumb.jpg.429bfc8631c04ea0ec828ef9a8e33ddf.jpg

• Like 1

• 3 months later...