Why become a member? ×

P Bass tone control - what does it do?

Minininjarob

Newbie here and I was wondering what exactly does the tone control do?

When you turn the tone control up so you get more treble does that reduce the bass level. My novice ears can’t tell. 
I was thinking that I would like a brighter tone most of the time but the music I play would sometimes benefit from the treble being rolled off in some sections which I could do with EQ on the preamp. But if the bass is reduced when the tone control is used then that might not be a good thing. 

The pot resistor (250k?) and capacitor (0.47u or 1u?) Form an RC network, the adjusting the pot changes the frequency that can pass...

So you are loosing high frequencies, not reducing bass.

You could try changing the capacitor value for a different tone...

I like the Artec QTP passive tone selector for a broader range of tones.

55 minutes ago, Minininjarob said:

Newbie here and I was wondering what exactly does the tone control do?

When you turn the tone control up so you get more treble does that reduce the bass level. My novice ears can’t tell. 
I was thinking that I would like a brighter tone most of the time but the music I play would sometimes benefit from the treble being rolled off in some sections which I could do with EQ on the preamp. But if the bass is reduced when the tone control is used then that might not be a good thing. 

In simple terms, the best way to think of the tone knobs on P-bass (or passive tone controls in general) are as treble cutters. That’s all they do. 

Edited by How1
Typo

The exception to this is on the Fender Performer series where the "Greasebucket" (named after the shape, not the greasiness) tone control rolls off the treble and bass to leave you with a more midrangey tone. I wasn't a fan when I tried a Performer Jazz, although I loved everything else about the bass.

1 hour ago, Minininjarob said:

That’s good to know, thanks all. I have a Fender Player PB so nothing weird. 
That means I can turn the treble up on the instrument and use an EQ to shape the tone to be a bit more subtle when I need it. 

Yep. You might find a preamp pedal handy if you’re doing a lot of of alterations to your sound. Or invest in an active bass in the future. P basses are great though, play around with, you might find you never need anything else. 

On 08/06/2023 at 17:48, nilorius said:

Why did you choose p bass???

Cos it’s what I wanted. I tried a few basses, don’t really like Yamaha/Ibanez modern basses, didn’t want an active bass either. My other choice might have been a stingray but I preferred the p bass sound in the end. 
And it’s a nice colour. 

Edited by Minininjarob

On 08/06/2023 at 17:57, How1 said:

Yep. You might find a preamp pedal handy if you’re doing a lot of of alterations to your sound. Or invest in an active bass in the future. P basses are great though, play around with, you might find you never need anything else. 

I have a fender downtown express which I like but might replace with separate pedals as I don’t use the overdrive section at all. 

It is good as a preamp as it has a switchable DI and so is useful as a one box solution and it does look gorgeous. I’ll probably keep it for that reason… 😂