Why become a member? ×

Really good lessons/tutors on Youtube for slap bass techniques?

Angel

I love this style of playing. Sure it's not for everyone but I enjoy listening and having a go.

I'm somewhat limited so far, (but not a beginner) and one thing I really don't get is those very muted little 'tick' notes that fly around. I get muting a string with your left hand, but I can't get anything like that sound, and it's especially hard in the middle of phrases. The other thing I'm trying to work out is more interesting things to do with my left hand playing.

So, anyone seen any really useful Youtube lessons? I've chugged through a fair few, but not quite what I am searching for.

This is exactly the sort of playing I like, and a really nice little bass solo at 3.22. All girl band Tokyo Groove Jyoshi.

Edited by Angel
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Angel said:

I love this style of playing. Sure it's not for everyone but I enjoy listening and having a go.

I'm somewhat limited so far, (but not a beginner) and one thing I really don't get is those very muted little 'tick' notes that fly around. I get muting a string with your left hand, but I can't get anything like that sound, and it's especially hard in the middle of phrases.

I've had a quick listen to the start of the song (great track from TOP, will listen in full later) and I'm assuming the "ticks" you're taking about I can hear at the 1.10 and 1.18 seconds points? If so they are exactly what you called them "muted" or "ghost" notes. Best way I can explain how I play these is: think of slapping straight octaves. My thumb is playing the downbeat and my first (or second) finger is playing the upbeat by plucking / popping the higher octave string. I then lift my left hand finger that's holding the higher octave up slightly to stop the string ringing eg: muting it. If you pop the string hard enough it comes back to hit the fret and with the muting provides very muted little 'tick' notes 👍

I find having a relatively low action helps with this. Hope this is what you were asking about. 😁

Edited by Acebassmusic

On 04/06/2023 at 13:43, Acebassmusic said:

Another way of making the muted pop sound is using the parts of your left hand fingers that are nearer your palm to mute the strings. Here's a good video which helps show it especially slowed down at approx 30 secs. 👍

Thanks for that! Really helpful, that is exactly the thing I'm trying to get. I shall give it a whirl shortly ...

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...