Why become a member? ×

Ampeg SGT-DI vs Origin effects Bassrigs

RikiB

Ok,so I’ve had the new Ampeg SGT-DI for about 2 weeks now having recently have both the Bassrigs.

just wanted to give my opinions on them as they might help others decide which to buy and I would’ve appreciated someone’s views.

Firstly they are all amazing so you can’t really go wrong with either.

I would say for rock the Super Vintage was great and the added option to add or reduce bass-treble to amp out only came in handy. But I didn’t really like the built in cab sun that you can’t turn off out the DI.

The 64’ overall I think sounded better,rounder,fatter and I liked the 2x15 cab sim a lot more. Out of the two I prefered it for “my” sound. But I though too much hiss at higher volumes and at a gig didn’t want to deal with hiss particularly although I’m sure I could’ve dialled it in if I kept it though.

a 2nd hand SGT-DI came up so decided to try it and flip it if it wasn’t for me.

This thing rocks in both SVT mode and especially B15 mode.

I played a gig 2 nights ago with SVT engaged and the SGT on about 10 0’clock with a medium output p bass and at first I wasn’t keen as I kept the same settings I used at home with Ultra bass on and treble down. I decided 2 songs in to turn the ultra bass to normal and try the ultra treble on and there was a punchy,bassy,fat tone I wanted. The 2x12 user Cabsim sounded best to me for svt and the 1x15 for B15.

The option of sweepable mids is a great decision 

Got a rehearsal with a wedding band soon so I’ll see how the B15 mode sounds with that.

I usually use a GK Legacy 800 btw which I’m sure could get me great tones but I like trying gear.

so out of the 3 I’d get Ampeg SGT-DI as it has no hiss,and option to have SGT on or off.

The Bassrigs do feel vastly superior and built like tanks and the Ampeg seems very light and plasticy in comparison so I’ll see how it holds up gigging but I’m sure it’ll be fine.

Also the SGT-DI is great for practice with it headphone out and aux in.

• Like 6

40 minutes ago, CJPJ said:

Thanks - that’s really helpful. Do you use a separate compressor and did you find the one on the SGT useful?

No I don’t like the Ampeg built in compressor at all. Seems

to either do nothing or pop and just sound bad,I use a Orgin Cali76 which is the best I’ve tried.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, RikiB said:

No I don’t like the Ampeg built in compressor at all. Seems

to either do nothing or pop and just sound bad,I use a Orgin Cali76 which is the best I’ve tried.

Yes, I'm not getting along with the built-in compressor either - as you say either nothing or pops and clicks. Maybe fixable with a firmware update?

The DI out with cab sim records well and there's heaps of EQ, but overall I'm preferring the SGFX  Beta-V; now if that had a DI out...  ;=)

11 hours ago, Bigguy2017 said:

Yes, I'm not getting along with the built-in compressor either - as you say either nothing or pops and clicks. Maybe fixable with a firmware update?

The DI out with cab sim records well and there's heaps of EQ, but overall I'm preferring the SGFX  Beta-V; now if that had a DI out...  ;=)

I’ll have to look into the Beta V if you think it sounds better. Maybe have a preset on that and go into the Ampeg assuming when the SGT-DI isn’t on it still sends cabsim out the DI and then switch Beta-V off and SGT on for.l a different tone

It’s very odd ..

The compressor on mine is fine, no pops or odd noises and easy to adjust to mild or squishy 

My preferred tone settings are also Ultra Low Off Ultra High On and bass and treble to taste. 
The SGT SVT is my preferred drive tone with Grit level around 11 o clock and level to unity 

Playing a PBass fingers or pick ( sounds really good with a pick ) 

Edited by BassAdder60
  • Like 1

Yeah it’s great that I didn’t have to mess about too much to get a good sound. Everything around 12-1 o’clock and SGT on around 10 o’clock with SVT and higher with B15. The B15 is what makes this though for me with flats,and SVT with rounds sounds awesome.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah the cab sim is on even if the Preamp is off which I thought was good if you want another preamp before the Sgt but still have cab sim on.

The Hi/lo boosts obviously only work when the preamp is on like a the real amp