Why become a member? ×

MIM Fender Deluxe Precision Special or CIJ Fender

Rockbassix

Hey everybody sorry for yet another which bass thread!

I tried a friends CIJ fender precision bass a few weeks ago and was surprised at how right it felt for me!

Got some cash coming up in the next couple of weeks so decided to have a look around for a P bass
I was looking for a CIJ Fender but the only ones for sale anywhere near me are out of my price range.

A search of the local ads has chucked up a MIM Fender Deluxe P bass for £350
i had also been considering the standard MIM P bass or trying to save some more for a CIJ Fender.

I'm tempted by the Fender deluxe but i've never played one and none of the shops i've been in had any in stock if it was closer to me i would just
nip over for a look but thought i'd grab some opinions here before making a 40 mile round trip.

Would love to hear other peoples views on the MIM Fender Deluxe, MIM Fender Standard or CIJ Fender before i get buy it now syndrome!

I don't mind the jazz neck my current bass has a jazz neck though i did really like the precision neck on my mates P bass
which surprised me as my hands aren't the biggest so i'd always avoided P basses.

The Mex deluxe is active which i'm not too sure about i've never had an active bass before!
Was the deluxe also available as a passive?

[quote name='Lostheplot' post='477217' date='May 1 2009, 06:09 PM']I don't mind the jazz neck my current bass has a jazz neck though i did really like the precision neck on my mates P bass
which surprised me as my hands aren't the biggest so i'd always avoided P basses.

The Mex deluxe is active which i'm not too sure about i've never had an active bass before!
Was the deluxe also available as a passive?[/quote]

Aye, I've got a passive one. If it's an active one, it will probably have a maple board on it.

Both the passive and the active have US pickups, the active has the samarium cobolt noiseless ones. - That's maybe something to consider.

I swapped the neck on mine to a p bass one. But then I've got big grubby hands and don't really like standard jazz necks. Although, it's a nice neck to look at. Lovely figuring and really well finished.

Edited by bigjohn

[quote name='bigjohn' post='477220' date='May 1 2009, 06:15 PM']Aye, I've got a passive one. If it's an active one, it will probably have a maple board on it.

Both the passive and the active have US pickups, the active has the samarium cobolt noiseless ones. - That's maybe something to consider.

I swapped the neck on mine to a p bass one. But then I've got big grubby hands and don't really like standard jazz necks. Although, it's a nice neck to look at. Lovely figuring and really well finished.[/quote]

Thanks for the info i didn't realise they were available in passive as well or that the pick ups were US!
This one has the rosewood board on it but is listed as active i think it is an 08 model as the owner says in the ad
he bought it new last year.

Might try to escape from work this weekend and nip over and see it!

I have a MIM P Special Active.

I think it is sweet, plenty of versatility, great neck and the fit and finish is excellent.

Beware though, my one had lots of polish residue in the pup and control cavity that over time may get into and ruin your pots.

All in all i would recommend this bass.

[quote name='Lostheplot' post='477240' date='May 1 2009, 06:39 PM']Thanks for the info i didn't realise they were available in passive as well or that the pick ups were US!
This one has the rosewood board on it but is listed as active i think it is an 08 model as the owner says in the ad
he bought it new last year.

Might try to escape from work this weekend and nip over and see it![/quote]

Nice. Aye. US pickups and 'lectrics. [url="http://www.fender.com/support/diagrams/pdf_temp1/basses/0135700_02B/SD0135700_02BPg3.pdf"]Fender parts list[/url]

[quote name='bigjohn' post='477253' date='May 1 2009, 06:57 PM']Nice. Aye. US pickups and 'lectrics. [url="http://www.fender.com/support/diagrams/pdf_temp1/basses/0135700_02B/SD0135700_02BPg3.pdf"]Fender parts list[/url][/quote]

Thanks for the link!

Is £350 around the normal 2nd hand price for these?

The bass seems pretty much perfect in the pics. The guy said it had hardly been touched he bought it for his girlfriend to learn on
and she lost interest when it didn't play itself after 2 weeks he was going to keep it as back up but now needs the cash to blow on a Stingray!

[quote name='Lostheplot' post='477272' date='May 1 2009, 07:14 PM']Thanks for the link!

Is £350 around the normal 2nd hand price for these?

The bass seems pretty much perfect in the pics. The guy said it had hardly been touched he bought it for his girlfriend to learn on
and she lost interest when it didn't play itself after 2 weeks he was going to keep it as back up but now needs the cash to blow on a Stingray![/quote]

I have seen them for £500+ in the shops/online.

£350 sounds good.

FYI, I got my guard made by a company called jeannie pickguards in the US. So they can make you a guard, without you having to send them your guard, as they made a templete from mine.

[quote name='boabskiboab' post='477278' date='May 1 2009, 07:19 PM']I have seen them for £500+ in the shops/online.

£350 sounds good.

FYI, I got my guard made by a company called jeannie pickguards in the US. So they can make you a guard, without you having to send them your guard, as they made a templete from mine.[/quote]

Nice one much appreciated! Don't know why but the gold one just doesn't do it for me at all i'm sure some folk love it but just not my thing! :)

Basically if you pick a good one, they've all got the potential to be good instruments. Some of the more recent MIM's I've played have played and sounded fantastic. The CIJ models have lovely fit & finish with glossed necks, usually. Just a case of trying as many as you can & deciding what you're happiest with :)

One example, though... I was in a shop the other week & I played the classic 50's Precision (black with the anodised gold guard), but a much cheaper Squier Classic Vibe Jazz blew it out of the water for sound, output, playability, quality, etc. Don't forget the cheaper cousins. You may be very pleasantly surprised. In fact, there's a sonic blue 60's Precision on the for sale pages at the moment. £200. Can't go wrong!

[quote name='OutToPlayJazz' post='477541' date='May 2 2009, 09:25 AM']Basically if you pick a good one, they've all got the potential to be good instruments. Some of the more recent MIM's I've played have played and sounded fantastic. The CIJ models have lovely fit & finish with glossed necks, usually. Just a case of trying as many as you can & deciding what you're happiest with :)

One example, though... I was in a shop the other week & I played the classic 50's Precision (black with the anodised gold guard), but a much cheaper Squier Classic Vibe Jazz blew it out of the water for sound, output, playability, quality, etc. Don't forget the cheaper cousins. You may be very pleasantly surprised. In fact, there's a sonic blue 60's Precision on the for sale pages at the moment. £200. Can't go wrong![/quote]

Thanks i've read a lot of good stuff about the Squiers lately but i think i've been put off by the fact my first bass was a Squier and it was a nightmare.
I made the classic beginners mistake of buying it on ebay without really knowing what i was looking at so i ended up with a rubbish sounding bass with action like the Forth Bridge
and dodgy electrics!

I know i shouldn't base my thoughts of Squier on one really bad one so might see if i can find one of the new ones to have a play with!