Why become a member? ×

DPDT Switch Help

Machines

I have an MTD Kingston Super 5 that has 2 MM pickups, each with a 3 way DPDT switch. It is currently parallel/single coil/series.

I want to change it to single coil/parallel/single coil, I'm not sure how to do this as I can't find anything from MTD about their stock wiring, nor have they replied to my query.

Can anyone kindly work it out from the below and suggest how I can achieve it ? 

image.thumb.png.7d2f86a8952826f323be33b4a579f25a.png

on/on/on DPDT switches are labelled like this:

1  4

2 5

3 6

and in the centre position will only connect 1 to 2 and 5 to 6, so I'd put the first single coil across pins 1 and 4 and the second coil to 3 and 6, then the output to the volume pot or preamp as 2 and 5, that way it'll run single/parallel/single.

• Thanks 1

Thanks ! Through sheer dumb luck - i've managed to do it.

I used this diagram I found on Talkbass, It worked as I wanted to (both pickups have a switch) so now I have an unholy number of pickup configs available.

image.png.724f443f4a762715930d387219f9996f.png

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

This is exactly what I have in mind for my Roscoe Beck, just I'm not sure how to deal when both shout coils, or north coils will be engaged together, for example positions 6 and 10 in your case?... Any issues there?

Thanks for sharing this mod.

Dan.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, dan-horro said:

This is exactly what I have in mind for my Roscoe Beck, just I'm not sure how to deal when both shout coils, or north coils will be engaged together, for example positions 6 and 10 in your case?... Any issues there?

Thanks for sharing this mod.

Dan.

No problems at all, are in phase.