Why become a member? ×

Maruszczyk Phoenix

15 minutes ago, Lord Summerisle said:

I generally (not just with bass but in other areas of life) try not to feel restricted by conventions of the past. I liked the sound of these pickups on demos more than the other options available, I didn’t think they sounded particularly Stingray-esque but they’re the pickups I wanted based on how they sounded. In terms of the usual Thunderbird tone - I’ve always loved the look of them but have never quite liked the pickups and found the usual ones too muddy for my personal tastes. I’ve always found it rather limiting that bass players who want a particular body shape for their instrument must restrict themselves to the pickup type mostly associated with that body shape. I think mixing and matching more than makes sense but people are naturally reluctant to break with tradition.

Yes for ease of identification it’s logical to use the phrases P pickups, J pickups etc. But that still doesn’t mean those basses “own” those pickups. I have a Yamaha bass with PJ pickups but it doesn’t sound anything like the Fender PJ I used to own. Ideally there would be another label attached to pickup types but I understand where the current names came from and no one’s going to change the naming convention now.

I don’t believe that this Phoenix will sound much like a Stingray because there will be a neck pickup as well as a bridge pickup and I’ve always generally favoured neck pickups As stated I think (being the owner of a Sub and having replaced the pickup of that with a Seymour Duncan) that the Stingray tone has a lot to do with the pickup being so closely located near to the bridge. I’m not very keen on that limitation.

This bass will actually be unique. It will have the body shape of a Thunderbird but will sound like neither a Thunderbird nor a Stingray. I wanted clear sounding pickups but not single coils and I’m happy that the configuration will allow me to choose the blend between bridge and neck pickups.

Perhaps the ThunderRay name would’ve been more appropriate had I chosen to have a single pickup quite near the bridge, but I’m glad I didn’t. 

What I wanted and what I believe I’m getting is a well constructed and unique bass with more clarity than a Thunderbird and more tonal options than a Stingray. And with an awesome red burst body with black hardware. It may well be the only bass of this exact configuration and appearance in the world. I can’t wait to receive it. I will give you my verdict when it arrives.

54 minutes ago, Baloney Balderdash said:

So one should refrain calling pickups what they are really called, so that a P pickup should not be called a P pickup and a J pickup should not be called a J pickup, and a Sting Ray pickup not a Sting Ray pickup?

It's what the actual pickup type/model is actually called, named after what those was originally was used for.

Also it's not just about how the pickups look they will sound it too, a specific pickup design lends it self to certain tones, and a bass with a P pickup will sound somewhat like a P Bass, and a bass with a Sting Ray pickup will sound somewhat like a Sting Ray Bass.

That's why he called it a StingBird or ThunderRay, not simply because the pickup poles are exposed. *[referring to the reply I quoted you for in my initial reply here, and which it is a comment to]*

With those pickups its tone will have some at that typical Sting Ray Bass character/quality.

Design does influence greatly on tone, and that doesn't just go for pickups either.

Also P, J and Stingray pickups are not just called that, those are literally the official names of those respective pickup design/types.

It's like refusing to call a butter knife a butter knife just because it also works for applying cream cheese and Nutella. 

Edited by Baloney Balderdash

8 minutes ago, Baloney Balderdash said:

Also P, J and Stingray pickups are not just called that, those are literally the official names of those respective pickup design/types.

It's like refusing to call a butter knife a butter knife just because you happen to only use it for Nutella. 

As I said I understand the naming conventions, even if a P pickup doesn’t always have to be on a P bass etc. The convention is based on the model of bass the pickup types were first used. It works in terms of understanding what we’re talking about, but it would be better in my opinion if the pickups had their own names (eg in the world of guitars we have humbucker, single coil, P90, rather than calling pickups “LP pickup”, “Strat pickup” etc).

Anyway, here’s to my Thunderbird shaped bass with Stingray style pickups configured in a Les Paul spacing. 😊 Cheers!

14 minutes ago, Baloney Balderdash said:

It's like refusing to call a butter knife a butter knife just because you happen to only use it for Nutella. 

I’ve just expanded your comment and seen your very angry looking large red font. Have you had your blood pressure checked recently? 

12 minutes ago, Lord Summerisle said:

As I said I understand the naming conventions, even if a P pickup doesn’t always have to be on a P bass etc. The convention is based on the model of bass the pickup types were first used. It works in terms of understanding what we’re talking about, but it would be better in my opinion if the pickups had their own names (eg in the world of guitars we have humbucker, single coil, P90, rather than calling pickups “LP pickup”, “Strat pickup” etc).

Anyway, here’s to my Thunderbird shaped bass with Stingray style pickups configured in a Les Paul spacing. 😊 Cheers!

Except Strat pickups are actually named Strat pickups, to differentiate them from other single coil guitar pickups, like for instance Tele pickups, which are also named Tele pickups, and not just single coil pickups. 

And those LP style guitar humbucker pickups are not just called humbuckers they are technically called PAF style humbucker pickups, again to differentiate them from other types of guitar humbucker pickups.

Also in that vain for bass we have Soap Bar pickups.

Just now, Baloney Balderdash said:

Except Start pickups are actually named Strat pickups, to differrenciate them from other single coil guitar pickups, like for instance Tele pickups, which are also named Tele pickups, and not just single coil pickups. 

Also for bass we have Soap Bar pickups.

No, guitarists generally refer to humbuckers and single coils. Even though those pickups were originally associated with specific models of guitar. I think it’s a better naming convention.

4 minutes ago, Lord Summerisle said:

No, guitarists generally refer to humbuckers and single coils. Even though those pickups were originally associated with specific models of guitar. I think it’s a better naming convention.

They might, though not the guitarists I know or read comments from if they are actually specific and not just referring to single coil pickups or humbuckers in general terms, which bass players will do sometimes as well, and in any case it wouldn't be the actual official names for those specific types/models of pickups.

And again all this was really just to tell you:

That's why he called it a StingBird or ThunderRay, not simply because the pickup poles are exposed.

1 minute ago, Baloney Balderdash said:

They might, though not the guitarists I know or read comments from if they are actually specific and not just referring to single coil pickups or humbuckers in general terms, which bass players will do sometimes as well, but that is not the actual official name of those specific types/models of pickups.

Of course it’s the official name of them. They’re humbuckers and single coils. When people buy Strats they choose HSS or SSS configurations, it’s actually an official term. H refers to Humbucker, S refers to Single Coil. And when you buy a Les Paul the Gibson website refers to humbuckers. Guitarists refer to pickups types in those terms. It’s that simple.

23 minutes ago, Lord Summerisle said:

I’ve just expanded your comment and seen your very angry looking large red font. Have you had your blood pressure checked recently? 

No I am not angry.

Does large red fonts mean you are angry now?

If you had known me from posting here I use large red fonds to underline the important part of my posts.

The large red fonds was my point with that quote, but to get the full context and be able to see where it came from I included the entire reply.

You really do have some strange very specific ideas.

13 minutes ago, Lord Summerisle said:

Of course it’s the official name of them. They’re humbuckers and single coils. When people buy Strats they choose HSS or SSS configurations, it’s actually an official term. H refers to Humbucker, S refers to Single Coil. And when you buy a Les Paul the Gibson website refers to humbuckers. Guitarists refer to pickups types in those terms. It’s that simple.

Yes, that is the general terms for those type of pickups, there are specific terms too for the specific models.

One does not rule out the other, but depends on context.

Just like a rodent can also be a mouse.

No I am not angry.

If you had known me from posting here I use large red fonds to underline the important part of my posts.

You did come across as angry by doing that, yes. If I replied to a work email chain by massively increasing the size of font and colouring it red in one of my previous replies I’d expect a chat from my boss. It does indeed come across as somewhat angry and rude.

34 minutes ago, Lord Summerisle said:

You did come across as angry by doing that, yes. If I replied to a work email chain by massively increasing the size of font and colouring it red in one of my previous replies I’d expect a chat from my boss. It does indeed come across as somewhat angry and rude.

Does this look angry too, to you :

And this post of yours, which it was a reply to, is not condescending and patronizing? :

On 23/05/2023 at 14:43, Lord Summerisle said:

You mean simply because the poles are showing on the pickups this becomes partially a Stingray?

Or would that only be the case if it had looked like this? :

On 23/05/2023 at 14:43, Lord Summerisle said:

You mean simply because the poles are showing on the pickups this becomes partially a Stingray?

6 minutes ago, Baloney Balderdash said:

No I am not angry.

The large red fonds was my point with that quote, but to get the full context and be able to see where it came from I included the entire reply.

Yes, that is the general terms for those type of pickups, there are specific terms too for the specific models.

Just like an rodent can also be a mouse.

In all the years I’ve been in music I’ve only ever heard people say they’re getting new humbuckers or a new guitar with single coils or they’re buying a new guitar with a bridge humbucker etc. That’s the way guitarists speak and you pretending otherwise is simply for the purpose of an argument.

1 minute ago, Lord Summerisle said:

In all the years I’ve been in music I’ve only ever heard people say they’re getting new humbuckers or a new guitar with single coils or they’re buying a new guitar with a bridge humbucker etc. That’s the way guitarists speak and you pretending otherwise is simply for the purpose of an argument.

And what about people buying pickups to swap out stock ones, they only use those general terms too?

2 minutes ago, Baloney Balderdash said:

Does this look angry too, for you:

And this post of yours, which it was a reply to, is not condesending and patronizing? :

It was a genuine question, I wanted to know if there was something else about the bass which made that commenter think of a Stingray. I wasn’t being nasty in my reply.

But at least now I understand the way you’ve been communicating on this thread - you mistakenly thought my earlier reply was made with bad intentions. That wasn’t the case.

Isn't it ironic...

3 minutes ago, Lord Summerisle said:

It was a genuine question, I wanted to know if there was something else about the bass which made that commenter think of a Stingray. I wasn’t being nasty in my reply.

But at least now I understand the way you’ve been communicating on this thread - you mistakenly thought my earlier reply was made with bad intentions. That wasn’t the case.

And what about people buying pickups to swap out stock ones, they only use those general terms too?

Yes they’ll say the type and the specific brand such as Seymour Duncan. What they won’t say is I’m replacing the stock pickups in my Epiphone with some Gibson Les Paul pickups made by Seymour Duncan. 

This conversation is getting increasingly absurd. I’m sure both of us have better things to do with our time.

Isn't it ironic...

Yes, and now you’ve been made aware of how rude huge red font actually looks during a debate.

5 minutes ago, Lord Summerisle said:

Yes, and now you’ve been made aware of how rude huge red font actually looks during a debate.

That you think it looks, yes, did you actually click that link I referred to?

Just like your post which all this started came across as condescending and patronizing to me.

But it is clear to me that your logic is a one way viable, and that there is no communication actually getting through to you.

Have you ever heard of the word “context”, Mr Balderdash? In the context of a prickly debate you sparked, your large red font looked angry and rude. In the context of the link you shared, large red font did not look angry and rude. Understanding of both context and nuance when posting comments to strangers online - this is key for online discussions to be held in friendly terms rather than getting people’s backs up.

4 minutes ago, Baloney Balderdash said:

Just like your post which all this started came across as condescending and patronizing to me.

But it is clear your logic is a one way viable, and there is no communication actually getting through to you.

I reckon you can go and help someone else now 👍🏼

1 minute ago, Lord Summerisle said:

Have you ever heard of the word “context”, Mr Balderdash? In the context of a prickly debate you sparked, your large red font looked angry and rude. In the context of the link you shared, large red font did not look angry and rude. Understanding of both context and nuance when posting comments to strangers online - this is key for online discussions to be held in friendly terms rather than getting people’s backs up.

24 minutes ago, Baloney Balderdash said:

No I am not angry.

Just like a rodent can also be a mouse.

On 23/05/2023 at 23:04, Lord Summerisle said:

I just wondered if anyone else liked or disliked the look of this.

Since you asked, I don't like it at all. Apart from the poor ergonomics it's going to have, I generally dislike bursts, long 4IL headstocks and pickguards.

However, I'm not going to be paying for it or playing it. If you get one, I hope you really love it.

Just now, crazycloud said:

Since you asked, I don't like it at all. Apart from the poor ergonomics it's going to have, I generally dislike bursts, long 4IL headstocks and pickguards.

However, I'm not going to be paying for it or playing it. If you get one, I hope you really love it.

Thanks and yes I did genuinely want to read opinions against as well as for. There’s no point in those “purchase confirmation” posts where people are looking only for endorsements of their decisions!

I’m a little concerned by the ergonomics too, but have seen a lot of people say the issue is overblown. I’ll see when I get the bass. I’m 6ft 3ins so not too worried in terms of distance to headstock, but neck dive would be annoying for sure.

2 minutes ago, Lord Summerisle said:

I’m a little concerned by the ergonomics too, but have seen a lot of people say the issue is overblown. I’ll see when I get the bass. I’m 6ft 3ins so not too worried in terms of distance to headstock, but neck dive would be annoying for sure.

I used to trade a lot of gear in the early days of teh Interwebz before most people cottoned onto ebay etc and would buy up lots at garage and estate sales etc, so I've had a few Epi, Gibson and lawsuit units come through and they always hung wrong and dived badly, but nothing like the Kramer Lumi. I'd at least try to put one of the Epis around my neck to see how it feels before ordering. I know it won't be the same, but close enough to give you a better idea of how it will sit on your body.