Why become a member? ×

Elixir Strings - best place to buy

glassmoon

Hi all,

As the title infers, where is the best place in the UK to get Extra Long Scale Elixer 5-string sets?

It seems that XLs don't come in a 5 set any longer, but you need to buy the 4 string set and then the single 130 for the low B.

Not a problem, you'd think, but hell's teeth... where seems to be the thing.  Lots and lots of availability on standard or long scale, but for 35"???

I love Elixirs, and have used them almost exclusively for about 25 years, but at this rate, I may have to find an alternative for a long lasting string.... Any suggestions?  

Thanks all

Julian aka Glassmoon

I tend to buy all my strings from Amazon; pricewise there's got to be a degree of price-fixing given the similarity of prices elsewhere (and I mean, how much markup are there on strings, it's bonkers), but I'm a Prime member, so free shipping.

Background behind a 5-string string change, my Lull is a 35" scale, checking my Amazon orders at the end of April 2021, I ordered a set of 14087s (45-105 XL nickel plated steels) and a 15433 (.130 XL taper wound).  Like @glassmoon, I too was a bit surprised that Elixir didn't make XL five-string sets, so had to resort to two purchases.  To compound issues, there was a really long lead time on the low-B, from memory it took 6-8 weeks to arrive (I suppose we were still in lockdowns of some sort at that time, so the world priorities were elsewhere at that point).

Given we're nearly two years on, the bass hasn't seen a lot of use since I put them on, but I did have a noodle on it yesterday.  They still sound fresh as.

Hey @NancyJohnson

Yeah, I was not too happy with what Amazon spat out at me... so following on with @dustandbarley, I took a spin past Thomann and it's all there, including sipping, for under £60.  I'd say that's a win.

I really don't want to stop playing Elixirs... I've used them almost exclusively since 2000!!!!