Why become a member? ×

Wire quickie

The gauge doesn't really matter - the signal levels are so low that any virtually gauge of wire can handle it.

Best to use stranded wire rather than single core wire, though, as the single core can break causing all sorts of problems.

Something of a similar gauge to the pickup wires would do the job - not too thick that it's stiff to work with and not too thin that it's fiddly to use.

Do you need a specific gauge value ? It's a while since I ordered any stuff like that as I have loads of bits lying around.

[quote name='BOD2' post='476733' date='May 1 2009, 09:54 AM']The gauge doesn't really matter - the signal levels are so low that any virtually gauge of wire can handle it.

Best to use stranded wire rather than single core wire, though, as the single core can break causing all sorts of problems.

Something of a similar gauge to the pickup wires would do the job - not too thick that it's stiff to work with and not too thin that it's fiddly to use.

Do you need a specific gauge value ? It's a while since I ordered any stuff like that as I have loads of bits lying around.[/quote]

Nope that should be fine cheers buddy.

In the past I have cut wires off of old PC PSU's I have had laying about but the missus threw them out when we moved.

Stranded wire does sound like a good idea.

Thanks mate.

[quote name='johnnylager' post='476781' date='May 1 2009, 10:32 AM']Doesn't matter? Everyone knows the Wal sound changed when the UK went from imperial to metric wire gauge.[/quote]

Actually I have just been reading a thread on a guitar forum (yes - my own fault, I know) where they are seriously debating whether or not changing the internal wiring from plastic covered wire to cloth covered wire will result in a different tone.....

And some of them actually believe you will be able to hear a difference. :)

I love all this! Are they discussing the merits of the 1953 Bumble Bee resistors as the real vintage tone year for that authentic tone roll-off? These go for 40-50 dollars apiece on ebay and some guitar parts shops, its incredible what people will spend their money on.
[url="http://www.badscience.net/2006/01/sounding-out-the-hi-fi-kettle-leads/#more-202"]http://www.badscience.net/2006/01/sounding...leads/#more-202[/url]