Why become a member? ×

New bass distortion pedal from lusithand

lidl e

6 hours ago, pantherairsoft said:

I absolutely did not need a RAT-style distortion (in all honesty I don't, it's the dirt tone that least suits my ambient electronic tones), but DAMN I want this pedal and am sizing up what I should sell to make space on the board for it. I wish it had top jacks, but that's a minor comment. It sounds amazing.

it really is very good

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Well I can post more detail but this seems to be a keeper to me. Works brilliant with my new P bass, lots of authority, but the treble punch of my Jazz on this is surreal…!

loving the natural mix control (rather than the usual blend of volumes) and how the EQ can go either way without losing presence. 

• Like 3

The Alma is great! Always on and juicy sustain. Works wonders on pick!

and the G&app, Jesus it’s very versatile, especially with that mix/blend. Very impressed so far but needs stage and rehearsal time of course. 

• Like 1

Mine arrived this afternoon and I’ve been hammering it out all afternoon.

Honestly, I’m a bit disappointed. It’s not that it’s a bad pedal, but it doesn’t fit my set up at all and having it has made me realise how well I can nail those tones with other pedals. On the flip side, the Fuzzrocious Lil Fella also arrived with it and that’s absolutely blown me away. I think the Ground n Pound will be going back. It’s just not the right fit for me.

• Like 2

Interesting! I had the Lil Fella and really liked it but I found it ate some bottom - as most pedals that don’t have an EQ, I’d say. 

really good and crunchy pedal but a more traditional cut - the G&P feels more RAT like and fizzy up top. 

Ander. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Ander87 said:

Interesting! I had the Lil Fella and really liked it but I found it ate some bottom - as most pedals that don’t have an EQ, I’d say. 

really good and crunchy pedal but a more traditional cut - the G&P feels more RAT like and fizzy up top. 

Ander. 

Oh, I’m totally not comparing the two and there is little cross over. The Lil Fella came to fill another gap and is firmly replacing my MBD-2 as my low gain overdrive.

The GNP is very rat-like, but it’s seemingly unhappy with my bass and it feels really lacking compared to my other drives. It’s just not for me.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, pantherairsoft said:

Mine arrived this afternoon and I’ve been hammering it out all afternoon.

Honestly, I’m a bit disappointed. It’s not that it’s a bad pedal, but it doesn’t fit my set up at all and having it has made me realise how well I can nail those tones with other pedals. On the flip side, the Fuzzrocious Lil Fella also arrived with it and that’s absolutely blown me away. I think the Ground n Pound will be going back. It’s just not the right fit for me.

I think that was my concern with selling my EAE Longsword to try it. The longsword is excellent but there is a bit of an overlap with the Halberd.

Perhaps I don't really need either 😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Honestly though I love their compressor and have no doubts itd suit me more than my Hyper Luminal (also excellent though). This drive is probably one i will hold off on, I need to spend a bit of time playing with the Halberd, Capo and Handbox WB100 as there's a huge range i can get from them already without introducing more drive options.

Still think this looks like a pretty solid drive option though, if I wasn't already a bit spoiled for choice I'd be grabbing it. 

• Like 2

Just now, MrDinsdale said:

Honestly though I love their compressor and have no doubts itd suit me more than my Hyper Luminal (also excellent though). This drive is probably one i will hold off on, I need to spend a bit of time playing with the Halberd, Capo and Handbox WB100 as there's a huge range i can get from them already without introducing more drive options.

Still think this looks like a pretty solid drive option though, if I wasn't already a bit spoiled for choice I'd be grabbing it. 

I think this is a very fair assessment! Capo gets you clean and break up point/hair/ up to distortion. 

add a heavy distortion / fuzz and you’re all set - and we have a ton of options!

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, pantherairsoft said:

Oh, I’m totally not comparing the two and there is little cross over. The Lil Fella came to fill another gap and is firmly replacing my MBD-2 as my low gain overdrive.

The GNP is very rat-like, but it’s seemingly unhappy with my bass and it feels really lacking compared to my other drives. It’s just not for me.

shame but like you say cant work for everyone! currently my low gain drive! ive also got the Alma upfront! and the Cali 76 bc at the end of my rig.

• Like 2

Just now, 0175westwood29 said:

currently my low gain drive! ive also got the Alma upfront! and the Cali 76 bc at the end of my rig.

I want to dig more into the settings of my Alma. I really do like it but I am a compressor noob and just end up setting it all in that ‘11 to 1 o’clock’ safe range to not mess much up. But maybe that’s the beauty of it and I love that it thickens the sound and adds substance to all strings with that velvety sheen to the D-G strings…! 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Ander87 said:

I want to dig more into the settings of my Alma. I really do like it but I am a compressor noob and just end up setting it all in that ‘11 to 1 o’clock’ safe range to not mess much up. But maybe that’s the beauty of it and I love that it thickens the sound and adds substance to all strings with that velvety sheen to the D-G strings…! 

i can be heavy handed and i like how its beefing up the lows a bit aswell.

i can be guilty of having mids be to forward in a mix so its flattening things out nicely def nothing crazy setting wise either.

• Like 1

Im a big fan of his stuff and have a couple of his bits, but I'm very happy with my current distortion.

I'm sure it's killer but superfluous to my needs

Edited by lidl e
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Lord Summerisle said:

If the video can be trusted it’s obviously a lot more useable and versatile than any of the Darkglass clanky machines.

I second this. Plus, much as I like the darkglass tone etc I hate how it eats out bottom. With this pedal you do not lose bass and also the EQ control adds a lot of magic. 

2 hours ago, Ander87 said:

I second this. Plus, much as I like the darkglass tone etc I hate how it eats out bottom. With this pedal you do not lose bass and also the EQ control adds a lot of magic. 

Some of the Darkglass bass videos sound more like someone playing a downtuned six string than a bass. Great when playing on your own, useless in a band with guitarists.

I agree to an extent but I also didn’t want to take from the merit and pioneering they’ve made as a company in the recent times. Personally think they’ve lost their way in the recent years and some gear calls, and often been disappointed by some of their gear but also done plenty right…!

completely agree that if you’re eager to dig in for the right pedal/gear etc you’ll find much better options too. 

for modern distortion this Lusithand is likely my favourite pedal - for a more traditional cut i quite liked Hudson electronics stuff - in between… Fuzzrocious Lil Fella. 

1 minute ago, Ander87 said:

I agree to an extent but I also didn’t want to take from the merit and pioneering they’ve made as a company in the recent times. Personally think they’ve lost their way in the recent years and some gear calls, and often been disappointed by some of their gear but also done plenty right…!

completely agree that if you’re eager to dig in for the right pedal/gear etc you’ll find much better options too. 

for modern distortion this Lusithand is likely my favourite pedal - for a more traditional cut i quite liked Hudson electronics stuff - in between… Fuzzrocious Lil Fella. 

I’ve backed right off from heavier distortion and I now beef up the bass tone with a moderate amount of drive on a Sansamp Bass Driver 2. Within a band it sounds MUCH heavier than adding DG clank.

If I didn’t have the Sansamp I’d consider Lusithand, it seems to make a bass still sound like a bass.