Why become a member? ×

Popping jack socket

ZMech

As you've posted in 'bass guitars' I'll assume it's the socket in the guitar, not the amp, that's the problem. This is [i]not[/i] a biggie and not expensive to fix. But I also suggest you PM a mod and ask them to move your thread to the repairs forum - you may get more responses there...

Could either be:

* the jack socket - a dirty connection on the contacts or a loose wire / dry solder joint on the wires leading to the jack itself - or
* the guitar lead - dirty contacts on the tip / ring (oo-er) or a loose wire / dry solder joint where the wires from the lead attach to the tip / ring contact assembly.

First, clean the jacks on your lead with electrical contact cleaner. Stick the lead back in and test the socket again. If it still crackles, hold the jack so it doesn't move around in the socket and try wiggling the cable [i]above[/i] the jack. If it crackles, there's your problem - fix the lead (google for info) or buy a new one. If not, the problems in the jack socket.

If that's the case, gain access to the socket and try spraying some electrical contact cleaner on
the contacts. If the problem remains, the jack socket can be unscrewed, the connecting wires unsoldered and a replacement installed. You'll find instructions and examples on how to do this on many web sites - just google - or get a guitar tech to do it for you. For a tech, a simple, quick job - half an hour's work, tops, at their rate and a fiver or less for the part

Edited by skankdelvar

Have tested it using a mates lead, and it is indeed the jack not the wire that's doing it. Not quite sure how to tell one jack from another, but it's a spector rebop (the one in my pic) if that helps. I think either i'll open the cavity at the weekend, or i've asked for an estimate from a nearby guitar shop.