Why become a member? ×

LittleMark 58r Fan Noise

mikegrovesmusic

21 minutes ago, mikegrovesmusic said:

Hi, 

Does anyone have one of the new Little Mark 58r heads? 

I’m enjoying everything about it except the noise of the fan. To me it seems really loud. Does anyone have similar issues? 

Cheers, 

Mike 

I don’t have a new one, but I do have a Little Mark 3. At home, fans seem to be far too loud with almost any amp that has a fan! I even posted here about a “noisy fan” in my Trace Elliot Elf. But at rehearsal, it’s a non issue, I just can’t hear them. So I suppose what I’m saying is, it depends on the setting you’re using it in. Where are you experiencing the issue?

Rob

I’ve gigged it a few times and there’s no issue at all as the volume covers it. 

It’s just at home, that’s where I noticed it and where the noise really stands out.

I haven’t needed to record with a mic on the cab for ages but I’m thinking if work like that comes up that the volume could cause issues. 

The last head I used was a TC BH800 and it’s pretty much silent, so maybe I’m just used to that?  

6 minutes ago, mikegrovesmusic said:

It’s just at home, that’s where I noticed it and where the noise really stands out.

I haven’t needed to record with a mic on the cab for ages but I’m thinking if work like that comes up that the volume could cause issues. 

The last head I used was a TC BH800 and it’s pretty much silent, so maybe I’m just used to that?  

Without being in the room with it, it’s hard to compare with mine, or my Elf. I do know that I found the Elf too noisy to use in the lounge as a practice amp. I suppose if you do need to mic a cab for recording, you could setup the amp itself away from the cab and use a longer speaker lead. That’s easily doable in a studio setting, not so easy to do on a stage.

Perhaps you could also find somewhere that stocks your model, and go and take a listen to compare, maybe even take yours. If it’s much noisier, then you may have a case for a warranty return or repair.

Rob

Just now, ossyrocks said:

Perhaps you could also find somewhere that stocks your model, and go and take a listen to compare, maybe even take yours. If it’s much noisier, then you may have a case for a warranty return or repair.

Rob

Good shout!

I’ll hunt down somewhere that has it in their show room and have a listen. 

• Like 1

I am curious about the new Little Marks myself. I really like my LM3 and I’ve been wondering how they compare, and whether or not they’ve taken everything I like about them and sprinkled a little more magic on top. Have use got any experience of the older models? 

17 minutes ago, ossyrocks said:

I am curious about the new Little Marks myself. I really like my LM3 and I’ve been wondering how they compare, and whether or not they’ve taken everything I like about them and sprinkled a little more magic on top. Have use got any experience of the older models? 

This is the first time I’ve used a head, I’ve had some cabs for a few years. But I’ve always like the sound of them and at the price I thought it was a good enough reason to go for one. 

I really like everything about it (apart from the fan noise) there’s definitely some features like the ‘old school’ knob that I’ll probably never use. 

But the inputs on the front is handy and it’s sounds great just plugging in a bass and barley touching the EQ

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 30/04/2023 at 04:50, mikegrovesmusic said:

May I humbly suggest that you practice with something else at home?

• 8 months later...

Just bought the Little Mark MB58R head and hooked it up to the MB58R Energy 102. Great sound but the fan is noisy though playing hides it, even at home practice level, and I imagine in full rehearsal or gig mode you won't notice it at all. I need get my Roland D-Bass 210 combo out again to compare. Uncertain whether to send it back.

Mark Bass really need to spec quieter fans.

It's not like it would actually add more than a few quid to the specs. Even going full beans and spec'ing Noctua fans would only add about £10.

I really hate it when they cheap out on components like that.

• Like 2

I had a little GK MB200 head. I didn’t realize the fan had become gunked up and stopped working. The power module and a couple of other things became overheated , and fried. It was an expensive repair.

Now I find it quite reassuring when I hear a fan kick in.

For myself, I really don't get the fuss over fan noise. Sure I can hear it but after  short while I don't even notice it anymore. Fans have a purpose and that is to keep the electronics cool. Without fan cooling the heatsinks would have to be far, far larger adding to the size and weight of the product.