Why become a member? ×

K&K Pure Preamp instead of an amp

petebassist

Hi, this might be a daft question, but I usually plug my upright bass into the PA via a K&K Pure Preamp, mainly to give me the ability to adjust the volume & tone from the belt-clip (don't tell the sound guy!).

I think this also boosts the input signal to the PA, meaning I don't need to have an amp as well, especially for a small venue.

Does anyone also use the KK with an electric bass as well, active or passive. I have to double-up for a gig soon, and I don't want to have to take an amp because of parking and load in & out problems, so I'm trying to work out whether I need another bass preamp pedal for my electric basses. I did try to use my active fretless direct into a big PA last year, but the signal wasn't strong enough, the PA/sound desk was quite away in front of the stage so maybe the long leads spooked it.

Any advice appreciated.

• 11 months later...

No answer….come on lads!

My thoughts, it can’t hurt try.
May be a bit funny with active as it’s going from ‘preamp to preamp’ then to whatever..

However most times I use my East UK ‘Stomp’ outboard floor pedal preamp with my active basses to have either a different tone, gain boost or mid boost and I had it converted to have a D.I. balanced out. No problems at all just pure joy.

I also use it with my double bass (passive of course with piezo pickups) and that works beautifully as well. 
So in a nutshell, I think the K&K is a good idea! 
Best of luck!🤞🏾 

• Thanks 1

I use an ART Tube preamp with double bass; I have a gig coming up for bass guitar and I'm planning to just take the ART for that, no amp. I'm pretty confident that it will sound ok.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, JoeEvans said:

I use an ART Tube preamp with double bass; I have a gig coming up for bass guitar and I'm planning to just take the ART for that, no amp. I'm pretty confident that it will sound ok.

You’ll be fine👍🏾

• Like 1

Not with the KK specifically but done it loads of times with various Fishman, Headway, Radial etc boxes and never had an issue so i'm sure the KK will work. The sound guy may make you plug into a DI box from the KK

• Thanks 1