Why become a member? ×

Double bass wanted *now sorted*

chrkelly

It finally looks like I've sold my Mentec so the hunt begins a new cheaper second bass. It will mostly be for west end pit work and for tours when I don't want to risk taking my Tarantino on the plane.

I'd prefer-

3/4 size
D neck
Not a brand new instrument
4 string with a C extension
Under £2000
Within reasonable distance from London.
Ideally a turn of the century German gamba shaped bass (if I can get one cheap enough)

I'm in no real hurry to buy, just seeing what's available at the moment.

Cheers,
Chris

Edited by chrkelly

Hi Chris, I've got a German factory bass circa 1920, I'll do some pics in a bit. No C extension but in great nick. It's had an ebony board put on by Vernons in Manchester and set up with a neck adjustment by Roger dawson it's got spirocore on at the moment which I think choke the sound a little, I had some Innovation on there before and it spoke really well. It's got a nicely carved front table and a flat back.
PM if you ant to know more, I'm about 30 mins out from Twickenham
Jake

I would have loved to have your Mentec BTW

Edited by jakesbass

[quote name='chrkelly' post='475976' date='Apr 30 2009, 01:39 PM']Cheers Jake,

Sounds good, I just need to try as many as possible at the mo. I'll pm you soon to arrange a play.[/quote]

Hi there,

I currently have a 1950s Kay Double Bass which I am trying to sell. Its 3/4 size, no C extension but its in great condition for its age. Its got Spirocore strings on it at the moment.

Follow the link for pics

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=44805"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=44805[/url]

PM if your interested. I am from Central Scotland.

Deaky

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,
I do repairs and setups on double basses and often have one or two for sale of the sort you mention. Also I can supply a panormo model bass made in Europe by Calin Wulthur (and set up in my workshop) for a little over £3000.
Check out my website for more details of available instruments... www.jeromedavies.com
Good luck finding one!
Jerome Davies.

Edited with a drop in funds due to my good bass getting a make over. Now £2000 max to spend

[quote name='jdstrings' post='494837' date='May 22 2009, 02:49 AM']Hi,
I do repairs and setups on double basses and often have one or two for sale of the sort you mention. Also I can supply a panormo model bass made in Europe by Calin Wulthur (and set up in my workshop) for a little over £3000.
Check out my website for more details of available instruments... www.jeromedavies.com
Good luck finding one!
Jerome Davies.[/quote]

Cheers Jerome, not sure if I can go that high now but I'll keep you in mind for the future

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='chrkelly' post='512030' date='Jun 12 2009, 12:27 PM']Now sorted with a bargain £700 old german ply 5 string. Plays amazingly and vibrates very well for what it cost. Usual tightness for a 5 but the solo gauge spiros are in the post. :)[/quote]
Nice find Chris, I hope it serves you well mate. If you hear of anyone looking remember my german flatback :rolleyes:
Jake