Why become a member? ×

NCD Aguilar !

msb

I’ve had a hankering for an Aguilar SL112 for a while now. The catch is there are no local dealers stocking them, and as a result they’re pretty rare in these woods. I’ve been watching some classifieds in the States , but with the current state of the Cdn dollar you take a beating on the exchange and duties. And the perils of shipping a substantial box. Found one for sale in Winnipeg last week. Unfortunately that’s halfway across the country … it’s 3500km , a 37.5 hour drive. The seller was not willing to ship.

So when one unexpectedly popped up as a local sale , I jumped. Paid a market price. Bought through a store but I know the owner and he cares about his gear. No dings , scrapes , or bruises. Beautiful condition. 
I plan to just use this at home , maybe drag it out for the odd rehearsal. I’ll probably eventually pick up a smaller Tonehammer head for it , but for the time being it sounds as good as I hoped it would. Beautiful cab. 
last night I was running a Darkglass e500 with it , I’ll be playing with some other amps over the next couple of days. 

IMG_7074.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I paid a market price. But there are simply very few around here.
It is a gorgeous cab. So I’m happy.

I’d like to pick up a ToneHammer head , but it will be just a home use head so I’ll be looking for a 350 or 500.
I’m sure one will eventually come my way.

It’s still hard to believe someone would go on that kind of rampage in rural Nova Scotia.

I’m a bit nerdy about gear and do enough gigs to justify buying good stuff. I use it. I usually just play mid sized bars and am frequently not in the PA so my stage sound is the room sound. I put it in the car , drive downtown , set it up play , and drive it home. So I like modern cab design that’s smaller , lighter , and can pack a good wallop.  
This cab checks all those boxes , but I’ll keep this mostly for home use , although I’m tempted to try it out downtown this weekend.

I would love to hear it at room levels…

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Downunderwonder said:

I would never take a new cab to a gig without testing it at gig level.

It hasn’t seen much use , and I have turned it up for a quick check. No concerns. It’s not a real loud gig by any means , but I’m not in the PA so my stage sound has to fill the room. 

Dragged it out to my favourite dive downtown for the Sunday jam , so I also got to hear it out front. I usually run a single Bergantino 112 in that room. I was hoping it would sound gorgeous , and it certainly did. I was using a Forte with a Monique pre. So I was after a classic old school thump. 

Delivered!
Nice cab. I’ll probably keep it for home use and go back to the Bergs for gigs. But it is a nice sounding thing , full , rich . With authority.

IMG_7149.jpeg

Edited by msb
  • Like 2