Why become a member? ×

Which multi effects pedal do you use?

SamIAm

Which multi effects pedal do you use?  

67 members have voted

1. 1. Which multi effects pedal(s) do you use?

3 hours ago, Woodinblack said:

Was specifically refering to the midi ports here

Ah sorry, the dwarf has one in and one out 3.5mm TRS MIDI type A ports.  I'm a wee bit blind to them as I only use MIDI over USB. And AFAIK there is no MIDI adapter supplied.

image.thumb.png.44f53508386c75399e3c0313d5fd5bc4.png

S'manth x

Edited by Smanth

20 minutes ago, Smanth said:

Ah sorry, the dwarf has one in and one out 3.5mm TRS MIDI type A ports.  I'm a wee bit blind to them as I only use MIDI over USB. And AFAIK there is no MIDI adapter supplied.

Yes, hence the conversations about the 3.5mm sockets not being great for midi above!

I watched a few videos, most of them didn't have the leads but one of them did, so maybe at the start they came with them but they don't seem to now.

Since then I have found out on midi.org that the 3.5mm socket *is* a midi standard these days.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Woodinblack said:

I think midi is doing ok :D

I would also hazard a guess that most synths spend their lives in one room and never go on a stage.

I've always used synths (and MIDI since 1984) on stage. 

At the time MIDI was the answer to all our high-tech interconnectivity problems. Before that our gear was all different standards - Oct/volt and Hz/volt CV, +ve gates and s-trig, sync24 etc and we had numerous interface boxes and custom leads to get the all to talk to each other. Publications like E&MM which still put out circuit diagrams for this sort of stuff were essential reading in order to solve these kinds of problems. Luckily most of this stuff stayed in the studio and we just used recordings of it live. We did have to modify both the KX5 keytars we had in order to make them suitably gig-proof (all that posing you saw people doing on TotP with them was impossible in the real world without having to deal with numerous stuck notes and power problems).

By the mid 90s I was running full MIDI backing for my band live on stage. We had about 15U of rack-mounted samplers and synths doing the keyboard parts as well as controlling the effects and patch changes for the live instruments - guitar, bass, electronic drums and vocals and doing the basic mix for each song, all from a MIDI file running from an Akai Sampler.

Of course nowadays you can run most of this "in the box" from a single laptop. I can see one of my bands dispensing with MIDI on stage within the next 18 months apart from the link between a controller keyboard and the computer, and I'll be using the plug-in version of the Helix along with any other VSTs I need to process the bass.

• Like 1