Why become a member? ×

More advice please

DTB

Thanks to @itu most of my sound problems have been solved in my little studio. 
However, now that I can actually turn up the volume without killing my ears due to harsh frequencies I have found that my little Genelec 8010 monitors are breaking up from excessive bass. 
So, do I get the matching Genelec sub for just over £600, ouch, (probably find a second hand one) or go power amp and small cab route. Atm I am using the Digbeth pre straight into my mixer. 
I’ve gone away from using the Bassman head clone as I prefer the Digbeth into the monitors, until they went all farty yesterday. 
The other option would be to use an 8 or 10 inch cab i have in storage as a sub either from the aux out on the mixer or the out from the preamp with a separate amp. Although i have no crossover so all frequencies from the bass would be sent to the cab. 
I think I know the answer but would like opinions please. 
I should add most of the time I am playing along to backing track without the bass part. 

Edited by DTB
  • Like 1

Buying a decent sub can be a game changer, it allows you so much more control over the monitoring. Not sure a 8/10" cab will do the same job though

Not sure if there was a previous thread but might be easier for folks to give advice if the threads were merged?

48 minutes ago, DTB said:

Unfortunately this is not an option. 
This would serve well if more overall volume was required but it’s only the bass that needs more ooomph. 

That could be an EQ issue as opposed to a hardware one

When mixing several systems, it is not so uncommon to build problems in the overlapping frequency area. Again, a real time analyzer (RTA) and a good X-over can solve many issues. One thing to remember is that ear gets used to any sound - even to bad one - quite quickly. And louder sounds better, although that's poison to your ears until it's too late.

Do several measurings like once a week until you feel comfortable with your system. Sometimes a friend visiting and listening to your system could open up interesting details.

Loudness is one thing you should understand. Measure some levels, and compare them to the board's master. Write down the levels somewhere: a 10 dB difference is much, but you can approximate the loudness with those steps, 0 / 10 / 20... remember that everything over 85 dB(A) may cause a possible hearing damage in the longer or shorter run.

Doubling the power (88 dB(A)) halves the "safe" listening time. 120 dB(A) isn't that far away. These figures are averaged, and your hearing may be more sensitive to loud sounds, than someone else's.

All issues with volume and harsh sound have now been fixed. 
I had my listening / playing position under the portion of the roof that slopes down. I’ve turned everything around so that the speakers are firing out to the more open space without the confined roof and the difference is astounding. Means I have less storage space but it’s worth it. 

• Like 1