Why become a member? ×

Laney Digbeth Questions Before Buying...

How1

So I noticed that there's a middle/centre notch and arrow, but this is at number 5. Does this mean it's boost only, i.e. Everything at zero being your flat input signal, or is 5 the input signal? It's numbered 1- 10, rather than -/+ 5 so I'm unclear.

Also is there a way to bypass the three way tone shaping switch and just dial in your own sound via the eq dials? And does the switch apply to the eq as a whole or just the affect the mids (the switch is in between the two mid dials)?

I ordered one but cancelled - I decided to hang fire a bit longer, unsure whether to go for this or the MXR m81. 

Any info would be great, thanks.

Edited by How1

2 hours ago, How1 said:

So I noticed that there's a middle/centre notch and arrow, but this is at number 5. Does this mean it's boost i.e. Everything at zero being your input signal, or is 5 the input signal? It's numbered 1- 10, rather than -/+ 5 so I'm unclear.

Also is there a way to bypass the three way tone shaping switch and just dial in your own sound via the eq dials? And does the switch apply to the eq as a whole or just the affect the mids (the switch is in between the two mid dials)?

I ordered one but cancelled - I decided to hang fire a bit longer, unsure whether to go for this or the MXR m81.

Any info would be great, thanks.

Noon position, or 5, would be approximately flat/neutral position.

And the "Tone Shaping" switch is not actually a tone shaping switch but a Mids Q/Bandwidth switch, that is setting the width and angle of the curve around whatever center mid frequency you dial in to boost/cut, or put a different way how wide a frequency spectrum around the center mid frequency you select is also affected (the frequency bands on all equalizers works this way, the difference is just that not all equalizers let you chose Q/Bandwidth, but instead has a fixed value). 

Edited by Baloney Balderdash
  • Like 3

Lots of good info here:

This includes graphs to show exactly which frequencies the switch sets. It applies to the lower mid eq knob only.

Edit: as Baloney above says, it also effects the Q.

I have one and I'm happy to answer any questions. 

Edited by Mornats

Thanks for the replies both very helpful. It looks as though it’s got a

pretty sensible/usable dynamic range eq-wise. I want it to replace the preamp I removed from my bass which was wildly loud, hard to control and noisy. 

I’m primarily using flatwounds/Precision and want a bit of a nudge up in the lower mids and a slight bass cut, somewhat of a vintage soul tone, rather than full on growl. The tube sim should be useful too for this I’m hoping.

I’m probably being slow here; so does the low-mid switch cut AND boost, depending on which way you move the dial? You set the switch for your desired ‘shape’ and then dial in to cut or boost those particular frequencies?

I’d assumed (going on the settings icons for the switch), that it was cut only but now I’m guessing I’m wrong…

Edited by How1

40 minutes ago, How1 said:

I’m probably being slow here; so does the low-mid switch cut AND boost, depending on which way you move the dial? You set the switch for your desired ‘shape’ and then dial in to cut or boost those particular frequencies?

It does a boost and a cut, depending on what you dial in on the dial. If you leave the dial flat (at 5) then flicking the mids switch does nothing as that frequency is set flat until you boost or cut it.