Why become a member? ×

String Identification - Half Rounds, Black Silks

Sean

Hi all

I've got some half-wound strings on a 4-string that just sound fantastic but I don't know what they are. They have black silks at both the ball end and the tuning post end and they have brass ball ends. Standard scale.

They're definitely not GHS.

There can't be that many brands of halfwounds out there with black silk both ends. Are they possibly obsolete Status halfwounds?

Any ideas?

Many thanks

Sean

I’ve got D’addario half rounds on my Yamaha and they have no silks so can’t be them , elites have Navy Blue (Red at Ball-End, so not them, Ernie ball slinky are blue I think, are they definitely half rounds, hopefully someone will be along soon with the answer 

15 hours ago, Pow_22 said:

Sounds like Picato to me. They moved from silkless to black silks towards the end. Can still get sets on ebay etc but as a company they went bump a while back

These have the black silk at both ends. Definitely not Picato.

My last set had black silks at both ends.  I actually had to shave some off the E string as it was sitting on the bridge saddle and dulling the tone.  Back in the day they were completely silkless which i loved

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Pow_22 said:

My last set had black silks at both ends.  I actually had to shave some off the E string as it was sitting on the bridge saddle and dulling the tone.  Back in the day they were completely silkless which i loved

Did Picato make Status strings? Does that explain why the Status range of strings reduced when Picato went out of business?

25 minutes ago, Sean said:

Did Picato make Status strings? Does that explain why the Status range of strings reduced when Picato went out of business?

I have heard that before.  I liked both to be honest, found Status flats a little less dark than Picato but i have definitely heard in other places that Picato made Status strings