Why become a member? ×

DISTORTION MICROPHONIC NOISE FEEDBACK PROBLEM?

BasistaFunky

Hello there guys, I am building my own bass pedalboard here's how all my FX connections looks like:

300059884_PEDALBOARDSETUP.thumb.jpg.953ce2a1a53de3b8f72838a35b7c4060.jpg

All they sound terrific, but the only problem is that when I turn on the drive channel on my EBS Billy Sheehan Ultimate Signature distortion pedal with my Mooer ABY switch, it gets a little microphonic noise feedback between the notes when I am playing and when the pedal stays on you know what I am talking about . So if I have to fix that like for example buying a noise gate with a SEND and RETURN outputs, and put my distortion pedal on the FX LOOP of the noise gate this way:

1630552215_DISTTONOISEGATESENDANDRETURN.thumb.jpg.ebdd902ff1983deadbb548556ef010e6.jpg

1. Will it remove that horrible microphonic noise when I turn on the pedal so I'll hear the distorted signal clearly with absolute silence when I stop playing when the pedal stays on and between the notes when I am playing?

2nd. And my last very important question is - If the distortion it's plugged into the SEND and RETURN loops of the noise gate - will it change the sound of the distortion itself and are there will be any difference if it's not plugged directly straight like: Bass > Distortion > IN Noise Gate OUT > IN Bass Amp. Thank you :)

Edited by BasistaFunky

Sorry, but I can't make sense of that black spagheti drawing.

I am pretty certain either you left out some connections or you made a mistake somewhere when drawing the connections.

Particularly I can't make out how exactly that Mooer ABY pedal is supposed to be connected and what exactly it is supposed to do, and actually that whole upper right corner section of pedals in general, how exactly those are connected to each other and to the rest of your setup.

Try take a look at that drawing and pretend you know nothing about your setup/signal chain and how it is actually connected, or the pedals you use for that matter and which input and outputs they got, and see if you would be able to make sense of your drawing in that situation yourself.

Might help us understand it better if you meticulously write out the signal routing in details, like for example this: .... Digitech BP200 -> Boss RC20XL Loop Station -> Keely Compressor Pro -> Mooer Noisekiller -> Amp .... e.t.c., and if any splits are happening then perhaps something like this, as an example: .... ->(splits up in two signal paths: A and B)=> Path A:-> [Pedal X] -> [Pedal Y] .... e.t.c //  Path B:-> [Pedal Z] -> [Pedal Q] .... e.t.c.

But yes, a noise gate set right would be able to kill the in between feedback, however at that point likely together with any sustain happening, meaning your notes will likely quickly and abrupt die off, and it might affect the tone of the drive it self as well.

I am pondering if perhaps the source of that feedback you are experiencing could possibly be from some sort of feedback loop that you are actually creating somewhere in that rather complex setup of yours, but I can't really tell from that drawing, as I, as said, can't really make out what is actually really happening there. 

Edited by Baloney Balderdash