Why become a member? ×

MXR Bass Compressor

BassAdder60

1C84FB80-B45C-428C-A4C3-3391BD1D959E.jpeg.8d9fc3ca7f666f94734e4465992dd362.jpegI have had a bad experience trying to find a decent compressor pedal more for the protection as a limiter but light compression too.

Enter Keeley bassist pedal, very nice but had a peculiar noise when “ releasing” and a second one arrived and it did the same !!! So I ordered the MXR instead 

I’ve read people find it “ clinical sounding” but if it’s fairly neutral sounding and adjustable I can live with that. I like the controls on it allowing adjustable Attack and Release as well as Ratio and Threshold 

Fingers crossed I’m happy with or I’m going back to low cost Opto Compressors !! 

Edited by BassAdder60

I’m on my - I think - third one of these. I’ve realised that I don’t like compression in the band (which more than likely means I just can’t set it properly) but that it really helps for home rehearsal and learning new material, especially more precise stuff. And from having had many different types of compressors I’ve found that the M87 is the one I can get the best results from.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Lozz196 said:

I’m on my - I think - third one of these. I’ve realised that I don’t like compression in the band (which more than likely means I just can’t set it properly) but that it really helps for home rehearsal and learning new material, especially more precise stuff. And from having had many different types of compressors I’ve found that the M87 is the one I can get the best results from.

That’s a relief ! 
It’s gets average reviews but I think it will be fine ( this will be my second MXR ) 

The first one I didn’t see the importance of compression or Limiters and returned it as it was costly.

Since getting the CTM100 I appreciate the benefit of having a compressor.

It also works well with the ABM600 if I recall 

I don't have much experience of different compressors, but it does sound like we were looking at them for similar reasons.

I wanted one that I couldn't really tell if it was on, unless I turned it off. Light compression, and limiting to even things out. At first I bought a Markbass Compressore, which is a marvelous thing, but it was too versatile for it's own good (for me), I could always "hear" it doing it's thing, and I couldn't stop tweaking it because I couldn't get it to do what I wanted.

After asking around here, a few people recommended the very basic Boss LMB-3, which is what I now have. Level at 12 o'clock, Enhance OFF, Ratio 11 o'clock, Threshold 11 o'clock, leave it on and forget about it. I think it's bloody brilliant.

Rob

• Like 1