Why become a member? ×

Westone Thunder / Cort T34

Potaton

Hi all,

I'm a Rhythm guitarist by trade,but i've recently discovered what a beautiful instrument the bass is & how more at ease & comfortable i am playing it....I guess you could say that after 20 odd years of playing the guitar,i've finally found my "groove"!!

Anyway,i've bought a super-cheap Johnny Brooke "Fender Jazz" copy....It does the job & actually sounds quite nice,however,it weighs 80,000 tonnes & the action is horrendous (i can't lower it anymore as it causes major fret-buzz).Time to upgrade!!

I was wondering if anybody out there could advice me on wether to go for a new £300 Cort T34 or a £100 Thunder 1 off the bay...

Thanks for your help!!!

Hello mate and welcome.

Just out of interest, why have you limited yourself to those 2 basses?

It might be worth setting yourself a budget and then checking out the for sale section on here. You'll most likely get a much better deal than ebay, and massively reduce your chances of getting ripped off.

Just an idea....

[quote name='BigBeefChief' post='473220' date='Apr 27 2009, 11:01 AM']Hello mate and welcome.

Just out of interest, why have you limited yourself to those 2 basses?

It might be worth setting yourself a budget and then checking out the for sale section on here. You'll most likely get a much better deal than ebay, and massively reduce your chances of getting ripped off.

Just an idea....[/quote]

Thanks BigBeef!!

Well,i had a bit of a go on the T34 (Active) on Saturday...Nice & light,superb action & nice sound,plus,i love the Rickenbacker shape but unless i sell my wife,i'm never going to afford one!! Then there's the Thunder.....It was my 1st electric guitar 20 odd years ago & i loved it...I guess i'm going through a middle age "nostalgia" (Not "Crisis") & i would love to own one again...

I've done a bit of a search on the T34 but to no avail...Anyone on here have one???

I'll keem 'em peeled in the sale section

The Westone Thunders are actually very very good basses for the money. But tBBC is right - with a budget of £300 you'll be able to pick up something very nice on here, generally for less money than on ebay. I've bought virtually all my gear from here - much safer than ebay, and I've met some really great people in the process!

I'd be inclined to try as many different brands as you can, and keep an eye on the for sale section on here. As a rule of thumb, don't buy anyting without trying it first, especially if its got Fender on the headstock......

Only problem is, once you start looking at the for sale section, you'll never be happy with the gear you've got!

I'd personally vote for the Westone Thunder 1/1A, seriously good basses for the money, and yeah, OK, there is a fair bit of dewey eyed nostalgia going on there, cos I had one many moons ago and it was great.

The downside with the Westone is that you may well need to get the tools out and give it a damn good set up when it lands, invariably, over the last 20-odd years it'll have been used, abused and generally not looked after that well.

You could always look out for an old Aria SB bass as well. Another underrated classic IMO.

Thanks for the replies & advice guys...........Well,i went back to the shop yesterday & had another blast on the Cort T34 & i love it....so much so,that i've ordered one!! Unfortunately,the one in the shop was a "Geometric copper" colour,which is weird because it's actually a sort of metallic silver flake colour...Anyway,i've ordered a black one & it's on it's way...I'll post pics as soon as.

Also,i've decided to buy a Thunder 1...Currently watching 2 on the bay now.

[quote name='Potaton' post='474895' date='Apr 29 2009, 11:19 AM']Thanks for the replies & advice guys...........Well,i went back to the shop yesterday & had another blast on the Cort T34 & i love it....so much so,that i've ordered one!! Unfortunately,the one in the shop was a "Geometric copper" colour,which is weird because it's actually a sort of metallic silver flake colour...Anyway,i've ordered a black one & it's on it's way...I'll post pics as soon as.

Also,i've decided to buy a Thunder 1...Currently watching 2 on the bay now.[/quote]

Excellent! The obvious answer really - buy them both! Why didn't I think of that? :)