Why become a member? ×

LM III/800 and LMTube /800

Musicman20

I know these aren't out...but here goes.

I notice with the 2 800s, they are digital power amps. Whats the difference between those and the standard LMIII/Tube?

Is there a sound difference in general with digital amps?

Also, if one of the 800s is pushing out 500W at 8Ohms, is it safe to use a cab capable of 600W RMS....perhap a daft question but I dont want to get a head that is far too powerful. What about my Orange 1x15 at 400W? Would that cab not be suitable?

Its one of these or a Genz Shuttlemax. Love the MB after the demo I had of one.

[quote name='Musicman20' post='472939' date='Apr 26 2009, 10:06 PM']I know these aren't out...but here goes.

I notice with the 2 800s, they are digital power amps. Whats the difference between those and the standard LMIII/Tube?

Is there a sound difference in general with digital amps?

Also, if one of the 800s is pushing out 500W at 8Ohms, is it safe to use a cab capable of 600W RMS....perhap a daft question but I dont want to get a head that is far too powerful. What about my Orange 1x15 at 400W? Would that cab not be suitable?

Its one of these or a Genz Shuttlemax. Love the MB after the demo I had of one.[/quote]

I think the general consensus is that digital amps sound a bit colder than the analogue equivalent.

Don't worry too much about having a higher rated amp unless youre into having everything on 11 and overdriving your power amp (which sounds pretty awful with most solid state amps anyway). You'll hear your speakers complaining long befoe any damage is done if it's too much for them.

[quote name='henry norton' post='473299' date='Apr 27 2009, 12:36 PM']I think the general consensus is that digital amps sound a bit colder than the analogue equivalent.

Don't worry too much about having a higher rated amp unless youre into having everything on 11 and overdriving your power amp (which sounds pretty awful with most solid state amps anyway). You'll hear your speakers complaining long befoe any damage is done if it's too much for them.[/quote]

Yeah thats what I had heard about digital. Ill have to have a think. I dont think I'll need the 800watts...ever. Bit overkill.