Why become a member? ×

Portable power supply

conductorbtcb

Hi all,

I once played bass (in my younger days). I now conduct a concert band. The Band performs outdoors most of the time and we have been using a leisure battery and inverter to provide the supply for our 100 Trace Elliott bass combo. Recently, the power supply has started providing a "earth buzz" through the combo at fairly moderate levels. Anyone suggest a cure?

[quote name='conductorbtcb' post='472912' date='Apr 26 2009, 08:22 PM']Hi all,

I once played bass (in my younger days). I now conduct a concert band. The Band performs outdoors most of the time and we have been using a leisure battery and inverter to provide the supply for our 100 Trace Elliott bass combo. Recently, the power supply has started providing a "earth buzz" through the combo at fairly moderate levels. Anyone suggest a cure?[/quote]
There have been threads on this before, and as far as I recall, there is no quick fix.

What you are hearing is the invertor approximation to a mains waveform, produced as a series of steps. I've tried running the same kind of set-up through a dedicated mains interference filter, and it had no effect. Two things that did work (for me) - (a) keep your hands on the bass earthed bridge/strings. (b) keep the treble turned down.

A mains interference filter is obviously cutting at too high a frequency to be any use, but if you go for bigger coils, to bring the low-pass filter frequency down, you will also reduce the voltage that gets to the amplifier, giving you distortion and clipping at lower levels.

One suggestion that was made was to use a battery powered preamp, and feed it into a car-stereo amp designed to run on a 12 volt supply. - Fine if you have a separate head and cab, but not much use for your present set-up.

Hope this helps

David

[quote name='conductorbtcb' post='472912' date='Apr 26 2009, 08:22 PM']Hi all,

I once played bass (in my younger days). I now conduct a concert band. The Band performs outdoors most of the time and we have been using a leisure battery and inverter to provide the supply for our 100 Trace Elliott bass combo. Recently, the power supply has started providing a "earth buzz" through the combo at fairly moderate levels. Anyone suggest a cure?[/quote]
Use a double bass instead?