Why become a member? ×

NBD (Kind of) - Ibanez SR505 Fretless

CJPJ

So, my trusty SR505 was the first "expensive' bass I bought around 10 years ago. I subsequently dropped a string and moved onto the P Bass where I've been for the past couple of year. I got bored of the Ibanez, although much loved, and was thinking of selling it on. Then I thought, how can I convince myself to keep it? Obvious. Personalise it in a way that you'll never want to let it go (and turn it into something that probably no one else will ever want to buy 😆).

So I de-fretted it giving me (a) a style of bass that I don't have and always interesting to noodle on and (b) a 5 stringer which I can practice chords and other stuff on.

The work was done at Charlie Chandler in Hampton Wick and, despite a frustrating five month wait time, I picked it up today. The work looks amazing and suits the overall look of the bass. It sounds fantastic and the stings are a lovely match. I had no idea how much La Bella Black Nylon Tapewound 5 Strings were but my tears of joy at seeing the bass turned to howls of pain when I paid the bill! Anyway, these are strings for life as far as I am concerned so I'll enjoy the endulgence whilst I can 🙂 

IMG_0200.thumb.jpeg.e3493aeb3a0a34d642204c9effe38bef.jpegIMG_0201.thumb.jpeg.e12ec3609cf6c8777a7fc47544367d7d.jpegIMG_0202.thumb.jpeg.f590a8eecbe03a22ea92dc03c952e7f7.jpeg

Anyway, back to channeling my Pino vibes . . . . 

• Like 5

Nice looking bass, he's done a good job. Given what you've mentioned about the strings, it's unlikely you will be wanting to restring it with a high C string rather than a low B, eh. A high C string always sounds more lyrical to me on a fretless, the low B string I find considerably less useful compared to on a fretted.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, TheLowDown said:

A high C string always sounds more lyrical to me on a fretless, the low B string I find considerably less useful compared to on a fretted.

I’d not even thought about that tbh - but it’s a good point and you are right that I’d unlikely change now. The B string on this is pretty deep and flappy - like a double bass. 

5 hours ago, lemmywinks said:

Some of the furniture touch up kits might make the bare wood disappear unless you like the mojo.

I need to look at that. I don’t mind the general wear over the top edge as this also blends in with a natural shine from the rubbing of the forearm but I would like to touch up the other bits by the pick ups 👍🏻

53 minutes ago, CJPJ said:

I need to look at that. I don’t mind the general wear over the top edge as this also blends in with a natural shine from the rubbing of the forearm but I would like to touch up the other bits by the pick ups 👍🏻

The wax sticks and markers work surprisingly well, especially on darker tones where it's easier to blend and doesn't draw your eye as much. I've used them for a few basses now and made some large (and very unsightly) bare wood gouges almost disappear.

• Thanks 1