Why become a member? ×

Wiring advice needed! Series / Parallel switch help!!

carlsim

Hi all... I need some wiring advice from you gurus out there! 

I have a cheap HarleyB musicman copy which is an ongoing project for me. I recently added a Warman pup which I really like and an Antec 2 band EQ which I'm not keen on. It's OK but has a blend pot which I have wired to select either or both coils. I really want a series parallel switch and I think I am going to plump for a Retrovibe Stinger circuit and add a switch (am taking advice from David at Retrovibe about which one to use).

How do I wire a DPDT 2 way switch (I only want series or parallel - not bothered about split) to the warman pup to then get an output to the preamp?

The Warman is wired as:

Black = start / negative of coil 1

White = finish / positive of coil 1

Red = start / negative of coil 2

Green = finish / positive of coil 2 

The red and white are combined for series - i got that from their website. I understand what series and parallel is - i just don't know how to wire this to a DPDT switch to get it right.

There are 6 pins on the DPDT switch - could someone give me a layman's version of what I would need to do to make this work? Literally an idiots diagram?

The Stinger has only a black wire for ground and a red wire for the hot pickup connection. Can anyone help me here??

Thanks 

Carl.

22 hours ago, Acebassmusic said:

I often use the attached Bartolini wiring PDF as a guide to wiring switches. Hope it helps 😁

Bartolini 4cnd_sw1 Wiring.pdf 37.16 kB · 2 downloads

This is what I am trying to achieve - I'm just getting a bit confused with the start / stop / +/- labelling and colours...

985717954_Bartserpar.png.72d0c1390dec96ee30a748bd811c256d.png

On that page, Bartolini list the wiring as follows:

1327383534_bart2.png.096b2f6708ccf36b222c03fc527cef11.png

Warman list the MM5 pup as: 

Black = start / negative of coil 1

White = finish / positive of coil 1

Red = start / negative of coil 2

Green = finish / positive of coil 2

So... does that mean that the wiring would be as below for the Warman pup?:

230668937_Bartserparalt.jpg.1d7215b5039e4e4dacd868dc18ebd0f7.jpg

If the listing on the Warman site is correct - start being negative and finish being positive - this should be correct??

Any help is most welcome!!

• Like 1

I did a bit of checking on "start / finish" and what it means for pickups. Not having built any before I'd guestimated what they are meaning and "start" is the first piece of the wire wrapped onto the bobbin (and would be wired up as the negative). The "finish" is the last piece of the wire wrapped onto the bobbin which would be wired up as the positive.

From what I can see in your post your last drawing (combining Warman wiring on the Bartolini switch) is correct. 👍