Why become a member? ×

Squier VMJ neck problem

jimbaby

Hi
I bought a Squire VMJ from a guy in Glasgow recently for a good price and when checking the neck did notice a slight bow which I thought, (not very experienced in these matters) would be righted with some adjustment by a pro.
I did ask him if the bass had had a setup or was it as it came from the shop, he told me he had lowered the strings to suit himself (the alarm bells should have been ringing but I was smitten by the look and general quality).
On putting it into my local guitar shop the tech tells me he will have to clamp it over the weekend and if that fails maybe try some heat treatment.
Only had this bass for a short time but have become very attached to it already, also it was a birthday present from my wife so fingers crossed for the right result, will find out next week.
Regards
Jim

If it was jsut a bow, in the neck in line with its length, then its fine, but clamping sounds like a twist, which is bad, an kind of unlikely in a fairly new, reasonable quality bass, unless its been boiled or something. It is possible the 'tech' is taking you for a ride. You can pick up a whole new neck fairly cheaply, fairly standard sized.

[quote name='jimbaby' post='472075' date='Apr 25 2009, 11:05 AM']Hi
I bought a Squire VMJ from a guy in Glasgow recently for a good price and when checking the neck did notice a slight bow which I thought, (not very experienced in these matters) would be righted with some adjustment by a pro.
I did ask him if the bass had had a setup or was it as it came from the shop, he told me he had lowered the strings to suit himself (the alarm bells should have been ringing but I was smitten by the look and general quality).
On putting it into my local guitar shop the tech tells me he will have to clamp it over the weekend and if that fails maybe try some heat treatment.
Only had this bass for a short time but have become very attached to it already, also it was a birthday present from my wife so fingers crossed for the right result, will find out next week.
Regards
Jim[/quote]
I'd have thought a tweak of the truss rod would be all that was required if its a slight bow - particularly as the weather has warmed up just recently - a couple of my basses have needed a little nudge in the last week or two.

Is this tech an actual luthier / repairer or just someone that works in the shop who happens to know how to put strings on so gets called 'the tech'?

Thanks for the replies guys, as far as I know the tech is a guy who comes in and works for himself, not an employee, also there are other players I know who have plenty of experience and they have work done by this chap, but all this has got me wondering if this is a simple case that the guitar wasn't ready when I called at the shop at the agreed time and he wanted to stall me (a wee bit extreme if so).
regards
Jim