Why become a member? ×

Is it just me or does the HX stomp sound rubbish???

lobematt

I have found the best way to work with any programmable musical device is to completely ignore the presets and make your own from scratch.

When I bought my Helix I didn't even bother auditioning what was already on there as I knew from past experience that at best there would only be a couple that would be even close to suiting what I needed. Instead I wiped the first Preset and built up my own basic sound one module at a time - EQ, compressor, distortion, chorus, delay. Once I had something I was happy with I used this Preset at the next band rehearsal tweaking the parameters (mostly EQ and distortion drive levels) until I had a sound that worked for the majority of the songs. I then made a copy of this preset for each song appropriately named. At the next rehearsal I would adjust the version for reach song until it fitted with the other instruments and made notes of any variations that would be needed for different sections and which I created as Snapshots. These were then adjusted to fit. I think the whole process from original purchase to having something I was happy using at a gig took about 4 practices to get right. 

If you or your band don't have the patience for this kind of process then programmable devices are probably not for you.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 22/03/2024 at 21:13, LiturghianPope said:

Sounds interesting, you're hinting at the fact that when you're designing a tone you shouldn't just "use your ears" but rather anticipate the way it's going to be integrated in the whole mix. Something I'm actively trying to figure out and be increasingly more aware of. I actually always found it inconvenient when I was encouraged to focus on what I hear, because that differs according to how much and what I've listened to lately, the room, the time of day, how tired I am and what I ate.

But I'm intrigued, do you have any exports of such recordings? Did you use his pickups or similar ones? I mean, as many others, when I use presets (doesn't matter the context - guitar, bass, helix, VST, whatever) they're not even close to sounding "normal" or "acceptable" let alone "good". I end up adjusting them to the point they're nowhere near the original.

When I get a mo I'll do a rough recording of random riffs with and without drums and bass so you can hear it.

I have no idea what pickups he uses. He owns a studio that is open to others and he has a massive selection of instruments for people to use. I have 3 guitars - a strat with Lollar vintage single coils, a LTD EC-256 (the cheapest les paul type they do) that has their own brand humbuckers in it, and an Ibanez RG7321 7 string loaded with EMG Mick Thompson active pickups.

I usually like EMGs but these ones are not really for me. I'll swap them at some point but used 7 string pickups don't come up often and they are expensive. So I will cope for the moment.

I usually prefer mid output pickups, especially for metal. I just like the way they react to my picking more. I want to add my own compression if I want it. I don't want the pickup to cause it by being so damn hot.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 28/01/2023 at 07:48, LukeFRC said:

I found it interesting that he had just one ir he uses )

Shouldn't really be a surprise.

While it's all very well to have "every amp ever made" in the studio, who really needs that out gigging.  Most are happy with a preferred amp, and then all the FX they need into that.

As for the "harsh/thin/digital sound described, most guitarists in particular are used to hearing their amp pointing at their ears.  Hearing the equivalent of it mic'd through a monitor will sound harsh by comparison, but that's the difference between the massive low-pass effect of listening to an already directional cab off-axis and hearing what it actually sounds like.  Not to mention the fact that a close mic'd cab will sound more "harsh".  They should try putting their ears by the speakers - they'll hear a *completely" different tone.