Why become a member? ×

what lefty stringray?

Bobo_Grimmer

I'm intrigued. A lot of talk wing's around for stingray and load's of players love them. Being a lefty it's kind of crippling when looking for new basses. (trying them out and even finding a model in the first place ect)

But I'd love to know what pull's so many players in? and What would a lefty go for if he/she wanted a stingray?

:)

*scratches chin........*

Bongos are always nice too!
I had a stirling and a stingray and I always prefered the ray, I found the neck too narrow on the Stirling but thats personal choice :) A lefty would go for a ray for the same reason a righty would, great slap tone and punchy finger/pick style. Where are you based incidentally?

[quote name='tombboy' post='471825' date='Apr 24 2009, 08:13 PM']Not helping, am I? :D :lol:[/quote]

......no...... :lol:

[quote name='tombboy' post='471826' date='Apr 24 2009, 08:15 PM']To be honest.... go for a classic 'Ray or Sterling. I don't think Ernie Ball do any other basses in lefty mode. Might be wrong though. ;)[/quote]

hum...... ;) *scratches chin some more......*

[quote name='steve-soar' post='471832' date='Apr 24 2009, 08:19 PM']I'm a lefty and I tried a Stingray in a music shop, while with the missus.
She said that I should buy it there and then, she loved the sound.
I resisted, how warped is that. :)[/quote]
:rolleyes: Weird....

[quote name='josh3184' post='471834' date='Apr 24 2009, 08:22 PM']Bongos are always nice too!
I had a stirling and a stingray and I always prefered the ray, I found the neck too narrow on the Stirling but thats personal choice ;) A lefty would go for a ray for the same reason a righty would, great slap tone and punchy finger/pick style. Where are you based incidentally?[/quote]

:) sound's like it's going to be something i'm going to have to have a play on. :rolleyes:

i'm down in bournemouth, dorset. :D

ah that's a shame, if you were closer you could have come and have a go! The problem is (as you may have guessed) that few shops (at least near me) stock rays, let alone left handed ones! I just had to bite the bullet and buy it. I wasn't disappointed, and I hope you won't be if you do the same :) I'd still try to find a shop with at least a righty MM and have a go upside down!

[quote name='josh3184' post='471855' date='Apr 24 2009, 08:40 PM']ah that's a shame, if you were closer you could have come and have a go! The problem is (as you may have guessed) that few shops (at least near me) stock rays, let alone left handed ones! I just had to bite the bullet and buy it. I wasn't disappointed, and I hope you won't be if you do the same :D I'd still try to find a shop with at least a righty MM and have a go upside down![/quote]

Oh poo. :) Your right man i'll try a righty some place and see. i like the sound of them but didn't really know what to go for. I'll see if i can find somewhere local with one this weekend..... there's a few guitar places around... :rolleyes:

[quote name='yorick' post='471899' date='Apr 24 2009, 10:03 PM']Get a bog standard 2 band eq stingray in black with a maple neck if they do 'em.... Had a pre-ernie but in natural and a rosewood neck. Still don't know why i got rid of it!!![/quote]
:) i do like this one tho
[url="http://www.music-man.com/instruments/basses/bongo-4.html"]Bongo 4[/url]

[quote name='Bobo_Grimmer' post='471836' date='Apr 24 2009, 08:23 PM']......no...... :rolleyes:

hum...... :D *scratches chin some more......*

:) Weird....[/quote]Hi Bobo, it does seem weird that when my wife was actively encouraging me to buy the bass, there and then, until you realise that it was a 4 string Stingray, black, rosewood board....for £1395!!!!
I told her that I could pick up a really good condition used one for half that price.
I think they are good basses but too dear when purchased from new.
A forum meber mxm has a gorgeous 5 string fretless ray for sale for £750, I was really tempted but it's an unlined board and I thought that £750 is a lot to pay to dip my toe into the fretless world, I may have bought it if it had been lined though!

As Josh has said, the Stingrays are very nice but so are the Sterlings, now I would be very interested in trying a Bongo, they look so good.

[quote name='steve-soar' post='472246' date='Apr 25 2009, 04:25 PM']Hi Bobo, it does seem weird that when my wife was actively encouraging me to buy the bass, there and then, until you realise that it was a 4 string Stingray, black, rosewood board....for £1395!!!!
I told her that I could pick up a really good condition used one for half that price.
I think they are good basses but too dear when purchased from new.
A forum meber mxm has a gorgeous 5 string fretless ray for sale for £750, I was really tempted but it's an unlined board and I thought that £750 is a lot to pay to dip my toe into the fretless world, I may have bought it if it had been lined though!

As Josh has said, the Stingrays are very nice but so are the Sterlings, now I would be very interested in trying a Bongo, they look so good.[/quote]

Hello dude, how often do used lefty's come up? ;) :D
Yeah 750 would be scary for a first toe dip. I'll look into Sterlings. ;) Absolute Music is right next to where i work and i know they have a lefty ray at the mo, i'll pop in there in the week ;) and try him out, not that i could get it cus i think they've put it up for 1300 or something silly. :lol: Think it's on ebay???? Anyhoo i don't have that kind of cash.

See i really like 5 string's, and have a couple, but i never quite feel entirely comfortable and end up go back to the 4's. So if i got one it would be a 4 stringer...... :rolleyes: :lol: :)

He he...... :) ok i may be a bit wasted right now but i've made my mind up. i'm going in there next week and give it a play, if they let me, and see if i may be ale to sneak it out under my jumper....... *look's left and right*.........I'm going to bed........dam ebay........grumble grumble............and that lefty ric...............grumble........credit crunch my ass........grumble.............

If I were to buy a new lefty Stingray, it would either be black with a black 3-ply, vintage white with a black pickguard or natural with a black pickguard. In all cases it would have to have a 3EQ and a maple fingerboard, preferably birdseye but I don't think they do that anymore. Unfortunately that's as far as it goes for us lefties: colours, fingerboard wood, pickguard and EQ. We can only pick the standard single humbucker-configuration, whereas righties can also get 'em with HS or HH setup.
I would love a lefty HH... :)