Why become a member? ×

Warwick Triumph Rockbass Lite

JPJ

Howdy folks.

Having parted with my five string KK Baby Bass, the inevitable has happened and I’ve landed a gig that would really suit me doubling on EUB and electric bass. I’ve spent a lot of time researching options (I’d love a BSX but its well out of my price range, as are the higher end NS Designs). The Warwick Triumph seems to give a pretty convincing DB sound for not a lot of moolar (around NS WAV secondhand prices). Whilst the WAV is still leading in my mind, the quirky body shape of the Triumph is tempting me. Question time - any Rockbass Triumph users on here who would like to share their experiences with this bass?

Hi, I can’t speak for the Warwick Triumph (I don’t own one) but can really recommend the Ibanez EUB 804. Been using one for more than two years now. It’s absolutely brilliant. Not my words but those of the different bands I play. 
Good luck 

Jim

21 hours ago, JimmyN2 said:

Hi, I can’t speak for the Warwick Triumph (I don’t own one) but can really recommend the Ibanez EUB 804. Been using one for more than two years now. It’s absolutely brilliant. Not my words but those of the different bands I play. 
Good luck 

Jim

Cheers Jim,

The sound clips I have heard of the Ibanez are interesting, but I really want something in the longer scale.

22 minutes ago, JPJ said:

Cheers Jim,

The sound clips I have heard of the Ibanez are interesting, but I really want something in the longer scale.

That’s fair enough. I normally play in Jazz Quartets or more and to be honest have never managed the sounds as created in the clips. I bought it after trying one out in a music store and falling for it immediately.  Having been a bass guitarist for so long (and being 74

with arthritis in my hands) didn’t want to stress myself too much. 
It certainly lends itself to the genre I play the most in. Below I’ve attached an example for you. Stolen Moments. Please remember though recorded on an old iPad sitting on the keys and raw, but still….

Edited by JimmyN2
To move the sound clip, but didn’t 🤣
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, JimmyN2 said:

That’s fair enough. I normally play in Jazz Quartets or more and to be honest have never managed the sounds as created in the clips. I bought it after trying one out in a music store and falling for it immediately.  Having been a bass guitarist for so long (and being 74

with arthritis in my hands) didn’t want to stress myself too much. 
It certainly lends itself to the genre I play the most in. Below I’ve attached an example for you. Stolen Moments. Please remember though recorded on an old iPad sitting on the keys and raw, but still….

Hmmm it certainly gets the DB vibe doesn't it 🤔 Nice playing by the way and thanks for sharing. 

• Like 1

That’s very kind, thanks, and your welcome.  As I see it, if you also want to play a hollow body DB then probably better if you get an EUB with 41” scale and learn the fingering. But if you’re after the sound without the inconvenience then I think my option is a good one. The Ibanez scores over other EUBs because of the piezo pickups (one for each string), the aerosilk preamp and it’s high quality and relatively low price. The amp settings are important and I’d suggest, assuming that 12 o/clock is Flat  then Bass and mid Low are at 10 and mid high and high are at 2 o/clock. Of course different amps may need more or less but that gives more of the DB sound.

I know some DB players who play in bands like mine and they amplify their basses but because they up the bass knob they sound woolly or just thumpy in the room. 

cheers

Jim

ps sorry, too much chat. 

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry, I didn't notice this thread earlier. I've got a Warwick Triumph and so could comment on it.

As it happens I bought it to learn double bass technique and it is close enough to a DB (though a little more awkward to hold) such that what I learned transferred directly. It's an Eb neck which it turns out I like, but many DBs are D necks.
There were two problems I had with it. The first was that the tuners are rather like bass guitar ones and couldn't handle proper DB strings, which I wanted to use, so I got them changed by a local luthier who also adjusted the bridge and fingerboard, declaring the instrument "not quite so alien as it first appeared" after they had worked on it.
The second problem is that I am 6'3" and the end pin appears to be built for someone a foot shorter. This was solved by getting a length of copper pipe from a plumber, adding a walking stick rubber ferrule on the end and slipping it over the end pin.
The tone is not bad, particularly after I had these strings put on. It sounds more-or-less like an amplified double bass.

14 hours ago, knirirr said:

Sorry, I didn't notice this thread earlier. I've got a Warwick Triumph and so could comment on it.

As it happens I bought it to learn double bass technique and it is close enough to a DB (though a little more awkward to hold) such that what I learned transferred directly. It's an Eb neck which it turns out I like, but many DBs are D necks.
There were two problems I had with it. The first was that the tuners are rather like bass guitar ones and couldn't handle proper DB strings, which I wanted to use, so I got them changed by a local luthier who also adjusted the bridge and fingerboard, declaring the instrument "not quite so alien as it first appeared" after they had worked on it.
The second problem is that I am 6'3" and the end pin appears to be built for someone a foot shorter. This was solved by getting a length of copper pipe from a plumber, adding a walking stick rubber ferrule on the end and slipping it over the end pin.
The tone is not bad, particularly after I had these strings put on. It sounds more-or-less like an amplified double bass.

Thanks for this. It seems its a common theme with EUB’s that they are all better once you change the strings for proper Db strings. I”m still undecided between the NS style EUB and going straight to full double bass although the lack of space is suggesting the NS will probably win.

When it comes to space the Triumph is rather small when packed up, not much bigger than a bass guitar. Here it is propped in a corner, assembled and ready for use. A 3/4 DB usually sits in this corner and fits well enough. I was surprised when I got the acoustic that it was less of a nuisance to move about the house than expected.

IMG_4395.thumb.jpeg.09c42963ead9eda191cd347b3ca5c63d.jpeg