Why become a member? ×

Tobias Classic V Fretless Bass (Mid-90s Gibson years) - *SOLD*
£1950
Duesseldorf / Germany

mrbassman_de

Selling my Tobias Classic 5 Fretless (Mid-90s Gibson years)

Specs:

Alder Body
Walnut Top
Wenge Plate
Lined Fretless Ebony Board with wooden lines
34 scale neck, 17mm spacing at bridge
Black Hardware
Weight: 4210 g
Original Bartolini pickups and electronics
Serial: 74xx
Build Year: 1996
OHSC

A wonderful singing fretless from the mid-90s era, when Gibson still produced the Tobias basses according to Michael Tobias' specs. This bass still has the features of the famous pre-Gibsons models: double truss rod, curved pickup covers, asymmetrical neck, the very good Bartolini circuit ...  

The bass has no damages, but a discoloration on the body area near the bridge (look at the pics). Besides that the bass is in top condition and feels smooth and nice, the board has no wear from roundwounds as it has been played with flats.  

For sound samples search for early Yellowjackets albums with Jimmy Haslip on bass.

SOLD

Edited by mrbassman_de
  • Like 4

• mrbassman_de changed the title to Tobias Classic V Fretless Bass (Mid-90s Gibson years)

Just reposting what I said on the other Tobias Classic 5 for sale thread as it applies here just the same.. 

'I had a Tobias Classic 5 back in the early 90s and it was a beautifully crafted instrument that just 'sang' when you played it. 

It was, I think, the most resonant bass I've ever owned and sounded amazing.

The only reason I sold it was the string spacing, which was a bit too narrow for my stubby fingers... 

This one looks like a gorgeous example - GLWTS! 😊'

• mrbassman_de changed the title to Tobias Classic V Fretless Bass (Mid-90s Gibson years) - SOLD