Why become a member? ×

Darkglass Harmonic Booster - thoughts?

JPJ

Do we have any Darkglass harmonic booster users who could enlighten me as to the suitability of this pedal to add sparkle to fretless bass in a live setting? Don’t want to make an expensive purchase if it isn’t going to hit the spot sonically.

• 2 weeks later...
18 hours ago, paulo m said:

I owned one of the original first generation H. B's... moved it on almost immediately' to my ears  it didnt add anything special whatsoever.... 

Sparkle on a Fretless...? REVERB.. 

Cheers Paulo,

Interesting feedback - guess I am back to the drawing board 😎

Seems I’m going to be experimenting with the Hall of Fame reverb on my Plethora X3. I always thought the sparkle was somewhere in the mid-range area hence the original post but I am happy to be wrong if I already have what I need 😎 

1 minute ago, Linus27 said:

I asked this question a little while back as I only play fretless and play a fair amount of harmonics. I've settled on a chorus pedal and the TC Electronic's Hall of Fame 2. Works quite nicely.

Thanks, I’ve only recently returned to playing fretless (believe it or not my first ‘proper’ bass was a fretless Ibanez back in 1980 which I still own today) and I will be playing fretless exclusively on a new gig I have kicking off in the new year. I’ve been using the Nathan East patch for the Chorus in the Plethora which adds a nice shimmer of chorus without getting ‘boomy’. I’ll have a play about with the Hall of Fame at the weekend when I have some time. 

Further to my claim of using reverb's on Fretless bass' here are the tone prints I favour from the T. C Electronic H. O. F 2 Mini. 

Shimmering Star' & Shimmy Jimmy' both work very well in my experience as does Dave's Bassverb' as they are all Short' almost gated like reverb's  & then there is Spread Strings' which is also useful.. My take is use them "Subtley" & mimimalistically to enhance the resonances of the  sound coming from your hands. 

I've heard many guy's still load-up on Compression & Chorus... to my ears that produces a swimming pool of over-spill... Beware. 

I also use a T. C Electronic Dreamscape Chorus' Vibrato' & Flanging' pedal for Vibrato on the fretless' coupled with the reverb's... All contained within the Plethora X3  &  I seriously doubt that you would require to use anything else. 

Enjoy your experimentation & I hope you find a new way of hearing the instrument. 

Edited by paulo m

9 hours ago, JPJ said:

Thanks, I’ve only recently returned to playing fretless (believe it or not my first ‘proper’ bass was a fretless Ibanez back in 1980 which I still own today) and I will be playing fretless exclusively on a new gig I have kicking off in the new year. I’ve been using the Nathan East patch for the Chorus in the Plethora which adds a nice shimmer of chorus without getting ‘boomy’. I’ll have a play about with the Hall of Fame at the weekend when I have some time. 

Good on you for getting back to playing fretless. I actually find it quite hard going back to a fretted bass now. It feels so restrictive and I had to sell my 75 Jazz which had blocks and binding as it was so messy to look at and was doing my eyes in lol

I'm not sure of the name of the chorus patch I use but I have seen the Nathan East one. I do find a lot can get quite boomy so I'll give the Nathan East one a go tonight and see what its like.

4 hours ago, paulo m said:

Further to my claim of using reverb's on Fretless bass' here are the tone prints I favour from the T. C Electronic H. O. F 2 Mini. 

Shimmering Star' & Shimmy Jimmy' both work very well in my experience as does Dave's Bassverb' as they are all Short' almost gated like reverb's  & then there is Spread Strings' which is also useful.. My take is use them "Subtley" & mimimalistically to enhance the resonances of the  sound coming from your hands. 

I've heard many guy's still load-up on Compression & Chorus... to my ears that produces a swimming pool of over-spill... Beware. 

I also use a T. C Electronic Dreamscape Chorus' Vibrato' & Flanging' pedal for Vibrato on the fretless' coupled with the reverb's... All contained within the Plethora X3  &  I seriously doubt that you would require to use anything else. 

Enjoy your experimentation & I hope you find a new way of hearing the instrument. 

Thanks for the info, I will look into those patches and give them a go. The one's I've been using are Molly, The Solitude, Hermitage, Bunny Bum, Open Space, Hendrick and French Funk.