Why become a member? ×

NPD - Maxon AF9

ped

Finally landed one of these pedals. Designed as a Mutron III clone, it has all the features I really like in the Mutron in a smaller and less valuable format.

I've now got three filters based around the Mutron layout (basically, controls for direction, peak, sensitivity and the all important (to me) HIGH and LOW settings. The reason I like this so much is because it adds some flavour to the sound above a certain frequency in HIGH mode, and does something magical to the watery feel of the pedal. Lots of my other filters don't have this setting, and unfortunately they left it off the Nano Qtron too. As far as I know, the AF9 is the smallest and newest pedal to offer it.

The pedal feels lovely - it has a sort of matte finish and it's a fetching beige colour that makes it look like I have it on prescription from the NHS. The switches feel great, and the foot switch, whilst a bit tricky to press with my hand (I use most of my pedals on my desk when playing at home) it has a very positive and non clicky action.

I've spent the day working, of course, but also comparing the Qtron, Mutron, AF9 and MXR pedals. I am really pleased that the AF9 has the things I like about the Qtron (watery warbles between notes, even response), the Mutron (warm, non peaky treble range) and the MXR (envelope speed, sound when driven hard, especially on low notes, true(?) bypass). At the same time it has none of the disadvantages (Qtron: build quality, size, external power requirements - Mutron: size, value, poor bypass - MXR: no high LP filter, lack of wetness)

I'll try and record a comparison at some stage but I'm absolutely loving this pedal. I took me ages to find the new two knob version for a reasonable price. There were a few of the slider based versions on Reverb at various points but always quite overpriced and knackered. Now I've said that I'm sure someone will sell this version in the UK for cheap, but still. I'll just delete the search!

Cheers

ped

IMG_3814.jpeg

• Like 5

Just now, Higgie said:

Glad to see you finally got hold of one! I love my older “slider” version, it’s such a great filter!

Yes thanks for the offer to borrow yours. I remember you saying you rated it a while back and that you had compared it to the mutron. Kind of your fault I bought one 😂

• Haha 1