Why become a member? ×

I need 5 string Viola tabs

NewUser

So I've been playing bass for about, I don't know maybe around two years seriously when suddenly a 5 string viola got my attention. I just got it. What a challenge this is. I'm stubborn and must figure this thing out. I have the will power, I hope, to master both instruments. I only know one scale on bass, E Minor. My bass is a 4 string tuned standard E A D G the 5 string Viola is tuned C G D A E and the viola has 12 frets.

So far I only know E minor on bass and I'm ready to move on to something else; but wish to learn this scale also on Viola. I'm really hoping for advice on where to go from here, finish mastering E minor - learn a scale that goes with E minor that has a old world ancient allure, Egyptian Latin Persian - Conan the Witcher - Romantic and Gothic - Seductive and Suspense - and fun with a blast of distortion and speed. I want to master E minor on both bass and viola but can't find a tab for 5 string viola, only 4. Please (someone) fill in the e string.

E-minor-chord-viola-cello.thumb.jpg.283a8d50851e76baddf8a41925210dc9.jpg

I do not have all the letters memorized on the fingerboards yet, I'm determined and working on it.

Searches have turned up these scales, that could be what I'm aiming for? I've not tried them yet.

(1) E Double Harmonic Major

658272044_E-DoubleHarmonicMajor.png.5b700174ad85c5a4cba5d9a33a3c3708.png

(2) E Suspended Pentatonic

468592108_E-SuspendedPentatonic.png.18c523eee7c41e560f4b7023ae681692.png

It would be nice if there were a way to mash it all together and have a super scale. Or maybe there is a different scale to be recommended. 

I really need tabs for 5 string viola.

Rather curious idea, might flip the strings on the viola around backwards and have the low C tuned to low B so it would become High to low E A D G B on viola and save me a headache and might create some interesting sounds. 

Thanks in advance and please go easy on the novice here.

For clarity for me - are you talking a standard (apart from the five strings) sized viola that you play with a bow? I'm assuming 'yes'. I'm a cellist and obviously the viola is similar in that it's tuned an octave higher. The two obvious issues are they are tuned in fifths not fourths and they're usually fretless... so 'fretted' is new to me. Five string cellos (and presumably violas) were a thing in the cross-over period from the demise of the viola da gamba and the rise of the violin family around the mid to late baroque period.  

What is not obvious is that instruments like violas are not symmetrical. You cannot just 'flip' the strings around. It has a bass side and a treble side. There is a bass bar on the inside of the top (on conventional acoustic instruments anyway). The finger board and the bridge are not symmetrical. The reasons for that are mostly to do with bowing.

There are fingering patterns for cello but unlike the bass they are not quite as 'fixed' (because of the tuning in fifths). Viola fingering is not the same as cello fingering. On a cello for scales, apart from some open string ones, the 'standard' pattern is to use 1, extended 2, and 4. If I were to play E major two octaves starting on the C string it would be:

C string: 1E 2F# 4G#, shift back whole tone

G string: 1A 2B 4C#, shift back a semi-tone

D string: 1D# 2E 4F#, shift forwards and stay on D string 1G# 2A 4B, shift back

A string: 1C# 3D# 4E

Above that E you're in 'upper positions' and fingering pattern for an octave changes to 12 shift 12 shift 123 because fingering is now nearer to violin fingering as the spacing has narrowed a lot.

The awkward thing there is the 2 shifts needed on the D string.You could avoid that by opting for the open A string and putting 1 on the B, 3 on C# then small shift to 1D# 2E.

Viola is not as large as a cello so you might use 'violin' fingering which is different - because they're smaller, you can have semi-tone or tone between all fingers, which you cannot do on a cello.

The elephant in the room: viola uses a C clef - C3 aka alto clef. For entertainment, cellos use bass (F4), tenor (C4) and treble (G2)... 

Hopefully someone more familiar with the 5 string viola will be along to provide better info. 

Edited by zbd1960

13 hours ago, zbd1960 said:

For clarity for me - are you talking a standard (apart from the five strings) sized viola that you play with a bow? I'm assuming 'yes'. I'm a cellist and obviously the viola is similar in that it's tuned an octave higher. The two obvious issues are they are tuned in fifths not fourths and they're usually fretless... so 'fretted' is new to me. Five string cellos (and presumably violas) were a thing in the cross-over period from the demise of the viola da gamba and the rise of the violin family around the mid to late baroque period.  

What is not obvious is that instruments like violas are not symmetrical. You cannot just 'flip' the strings around. It has a bass side and a treble side. There is a bass bar on the inside of the top (on conventional acoustic instruments anyway). The finger board and the bridge are not symmetrical. The reasons for that are mostly to do with bowing.

There are fingering patterns for cello but unlike the bass they are not quite as 'fixed' (because of the tuning in fifths). Viola fingering is not the same as cello fingering. On a cello for scales, apart from some open string ones, the 'standard' pattern is to use 1, extended 2, and 4. If I were to play E major two octaves starting on the C string it would be:

C string: 1E 2F# 4G#, shift back whole tone

G string: 1A 2B 4C#, shift back a semi-tone

D string: 1D# 2E 4F#, shift forwards and stay on D string 1G# 2A 4B, shift back

A string: 1C# 3D# 4E

Above that E you're in 'upper positions' and fingering pattern for an octave changes to 12 shift 12 shift 123 because fingering is now nearer to violin fingering as the spacing has narrowed a lot.

The awkward thing there is the 2 shifts needed on the D string.You could avoid that by opting for the open A string and putting 1 on the B, 3 on C# then small shift to 1D# 2E.

Viola is not as large as a cello so you might use 'violin' fingering which is different - because they're smaller, you can have semi-tone or tone between all fingers, which you cannot do on a cello.

The elephant in the room: viola uses a C clef - C3 aka alto clef. For entertainment, cellos use bass (F4), tenor (C4) and treble (G2)... 

Hopefully someone more familiar with the 5 string viola will be along to provide better info. 

The instrument is a 16 inch electric Viola meant to be bowed, I have a bow but am more interested in playing it pizzicato.

I've read your message several times, thank you for writing all that out!

Viola.thumb.jpg.d67e6d465295ed7b2051f49ef56085ae.jpg

• Like 1

OK 16" viola... enjoy.  I did think about playing the viola, but I found the left arm position tricky. I'd strongly recommend getting some lessons from a teacher, not least to avoid long-term arm/neck/shoulder issues. Getting the set-up right is critical. I do play instruments that use alto clef (tenor and bass viol). I think you will need to read notation (stand to be corrected if I'm speaking from a position of ignorance!) as I think that you will struggle to find tab for it. I doubt there is lute tablature written for it (which there is for the viol).

You might try looking for some violin tab for 5-string violin - your tuning is essentially violin plus a low C, although it has viola scale length. And if you can't find 5-string vioin, take the E from 4-string tab and add it to what you have for viola.

I'm amazed that there is any tab at all for orchestral instruments.