Why become a member? ×

Spotify/Amazon Music etc. posting

NancyJohnson

2 hours ago, NancyJohnson said:

Can anyone give me a quick process for getting audio up on streaming services?

Any aggregation service will offer this, and most will let you pick and choose which services your music is then available on, although I really can't see any advantage for independent artists to deliberately opt out of any.

Aggregators tend to work in one of two ways, and most will require an initial payment to "release" your recordings. After that they either take a relatively large percentage of your earnings, but your recordings will be continually available for no additional cost; or they take a smaller percentage but charge you a yearly fee to ensure that your recording continue to be available. Stop paying and your music will disappear from all the services. Other than that they are pretty much all the same. If you have a sizeable following who will all be downloading and/or streaming your music (or you only want the music to be available for a limited time) then a yearly subscription service may well be best. Otherwise pick whichever has the the lowest setup cost and takes the smallest percentage of your earnings.

Bands I have been involved with have used CD Baby, Catapult and Distrokid. 

Edited by BigRedX

Just a thought. Some aggregation services place restrictions on how your tracks are named. I think this is in order to make sure that there is a consistency to capitalisation etc. If your band uses non-alpha-numeric characters in your song titles or weird capitalisations (The Terrortones had a lot of song titles with run-on words that had capital letters in the middle of them) you may find that the aggregator doesn't allow you to render the titles as you want them. CD Baby were particularly bad/strict for this last time I looked. That may influence your choice of service.