Why become a member? ×

Encore e83 truss rod size and adjustment

Zephyr

Just wondering if anybody had an early 90’s Encore e83 bass as I am pretty sure the neck is too tight, arching, which is giving a bit of fret buzz. Only on the F first fret low E string.

The saddles are at the hilt when I first got it (used) so I am guessing there has been an issue with the fret buzz and the previous owner had attempted to alleviate the buzz threw raising the saddles at the bridge. 

So I want to loosen the rod a tad. It starting to grate. 

But the truss rod is in the heel of the neck; bridge end. NOT nut end.

So questions are Encore e83 related.

Has any body been down that end and made adjustments?

What size is the truss rod and wrench?

Is it hex or cross head truss rod?

That information is not easily available so hoping there is some one with that valuable insight and info.

I've played with an Encore that had the truss rod adjustment down by the pickups. It was a standard 6(?)mm hex bolt. I had to take the scratch plate off which was a real pain because I think the scratch plate could have a cutout to accommodate adjustments, but it doesn't.

Back when I adjusted it I didn't know any better and thought you needed to take the strings off. In a sense you do: that's how you get the scratch plate off. However if you want to adjust with the tension of the strings that is possible: loosen the strings, take the scratch plate off and bring the strings back to pitch. It's really fiddly to adjust with the strings in place, but it's not impossible.

Good luck is all I can say.

Hahahahahahaha!!!

Thanks very much and appreciated if though I say it with a wee bit of mucking about with pickguard and strings.

But good to know it’s accessible.

I have see on the old fenders that peeps have cut holes to adjust the rod down at the heel so I will take measurements when accessing and see if I can make a hole specific for Allen key or wrench.

thanks again!!

On 07/11/2022 at 17:21, chyc said:

I've played with an Encore that had the truss rod adjustment down by the pickups. It was a standard 6(?)mm hex bolt. I had to take the scratch plate off which was a real pain because I think the scratch plate could have a cutout to accommodate adjustments, but it doesn't.

Back when I adjusted it I didn't know any better and thought you needed to take the strings off. In a sense you do: that's how you get the scratch plate off. However if you want to adjust with the tension of the strings that is possible: loosen the strings, take the scratch plate off and bring the strings back to pitch. It's really fiddly to adjust with the strings in place, but it's not impossible.

Good luck is all I can say.

But if tightening the rod it helps to slacken off the strings so that you aren't fighting them whilst adjusting.

• Like 1

No, my intention is to slacken the bend. The bend is going back not towards the strings.

But if Go too far the other way then I will loosen string when tightening.

I got a second opinion regarding the straightness off the neck. Both of us believes the neck arches back around the 3/2 fret. Which we think is a bit weird. As it usually in the middle 5-7…8.

Or is it?

But yes I will get my Allen key out this weekend and update next week. I will investigate making a hole in the pick guard as well. So as that I do not have to remove the when there is movement.

The feel of the neck is near perfect so will do all that I can to set it up to stay.

The sound of the bass is good if not great for what I paid for it; £50.

Played with a fender jazz, and, thought tones were comparable. But we really did not test all areas of tonality.

BUT THE WEIGHT OF THE THING!

Stops the blood flow resting on you thigh when playing sitting down.

• 3 months later...

Just a wee update.

Bought myself a Harley Benton PB-20 SBK; £110 as back up. I have not touch the encore since. It competes on all levels and looks so sweet.

The value is off the chart as far as I am concerned.

The Encore’s weight (early 90’s Indian ash) is an issue. Instead of carrying it  I drag it. Gorgeous to look though!

• Like 1

On 11/02/2023 at 20:32, Zephyr said:

Just a wee update.

Bought myself a Harley Benton PB-20 SBK; £110 as back up. I have not touch the encore since. It competes on all levels and looks so sweet.

The value is off the chart as far as I am concerned.

The Encore’s weight (early 90’s Indian ash) is an issue. Instead of carrying it  I drag it. Gorgeous to look though!

Perfect answer then - hang the Encore on the wall to look at but play the HB  :)