Why become a member? ×

Orange Little Bass Thing or Laney Digbeth DH500B

uhuglue

Hi All,

I'm a long time lurker on BassChat and finally registered an account as I am currently in a dilemma and hope some of you could help me out.

I'm currently looking for an amp to pair with my Orange OBC115 cab and have narrowed it down to the Orange Little Bass Thing and the Laney Digbeth DH500B. Unfortunately, I wont be able to get the chance to try both these amps in person and would have to take a leap of faith.

I am mightily impressed by the demos of both on youtube. I love the punch of LBT's built-in compressor however the missing aux in and headphones input is a little annoying. The Laney seems to have a tube-like warmth and the ability to mix the drive and clean channels is a really neat feature - doesn't hurt that it has the aux in and headphones inputs too.

For those who have tried both amps, which would you get and why?

I've never played through a Laney, but the Orange heads I've tried have had a quite modern/punchy quality. One might even say they were a bit in yer face - perhaps a little lacking in vintage or warm tonality. So it depends what you want. If you like both and the Laney has the feature set you prefer, I'd lean towards that in your shoes. Generally, it isn't a good idea to buy without trying. Is it really impossible to do so?

The LBT has a trick up it’s sleeve regarding the compressor ( it’s an Opto Compressor ) 

When you increase it the tone warms up like a tube amp and if you go past midday ( a lot of compression) it sounds gritty 

It’s a fine amp with one of the better EQ ranges on an Orange amp.

Its very different to the Terror Bass head 

• Like 1