Why become a member? ×

Seasonal changes

Fishfacefour

I'm currently not in any bands and only playing at home. I've realised that through the summer months I moved away from bass and gravitated towards guitar again. Now that the weather has decidedly turned cold I'm finding myself pulled back towards the bass (and I'm now terribly rusty).

Does this happen to anyone else?

What factors make you move between instruments or even types of music?

I came from guitar to bass many years ago - that was a simple choice based on the duo I was in at the time occasionally getting band gigs, for which we brought in a drummer and being the least competent at guitar, I played bass.  For a few years when we were a 4 piece I swapped bass and guitar duties with the rhythm guitarist but eventually I saw the light (or read the large writing on the wall) and became a full time bass player. Mostly I only play guitar when writing or recording. 

I find that between bands, or when gigs and rehearsals are thin on the ground, I tend to play more guitar. It seems to be a 'keep it fresh' kind of thing. Change or new things give me motivation.  

As for moving between playing musical styles, that's very much band or recording driven - whatever i need to practice at the time. 

• Like 1