Why become a member? ×

Sweet Chestnut - Suitable for Neck/Body?

SamIAm

I've been offered a block of Sweet Chestnut for my bass build.  It has been aged about 50 years and does not appear to be twisted.

I've searched the web but not found a lot of information regarding its suitability for use in making a guitar.

I'd appreciate hearing your experience, info, views relating to this.  Is it a 'sweet' choice or a highway to dissapointment?

S'manth x

3 hours ago, neepheid said:

https://www.wood-database.com/sweet-chestnut/

It's pretty soft, but it's a little harder than basswood and that gets used for making solid bodies all the time. (Basswood for comparison - https://www.wood-database.com/basswood/)

OMG ... I'd missed that wood-database ... awesome info, thank you!

13 minutes ago, Random Guitarist said:

For use as a body or neck? Body would be fine, neck I'd be cautious unless it's going to be chunky.

(Or put in carbon reinforcement?)

Both.  Phoenix is going to be made from a single piece of wood (Like Twiggy).

The neck is going to be on the chunky side, with Twiggy I freformed the neck until it felt good ... I later discovered that I'd a profile that was quite similar to the .strandberg* Endurneck ... for Phoenix I aim mindfully crafting the profile in an Endurneck fashion, I plan to have a dual action trussrod and a pair (one either side of the truss rod) 4mm square carbon fibre rods; given the asymetric neck profile I want to reduce the risk of any untoward neck bending.

S'manth x