Why become a member? ×

Best Rosin for a mixed plain Gut & Spircores set

bassadder

Hi Guys

What’s the best rosin for a Chorda, Olive and Spirocores with a C-extension. Was using pops till it melted on a window sill…. OK but a bit a uncouth for my tastes. Is there anything that grabs the plain gut and metal wraps with equal aplomb but sounds smooth and rich at the same time????,

I need some first world experience here in the UK as a lot of the reviews I read are from the States.

Many thanks in advance 

My desk partner (using his wonky German bow!) swears by Sam Kolstein Rosin (Black rosin in a gold pot), He also uses it on his baroque bow and bass strung with guts. 

Not my cup of tea as its a "hard powder style" rosin...rubbish when I tried it on my steels. 

But to be fair he makes a very decent sound. 

You could also look at Leatherwood rosin and ask for a specific blend suitable for gut? (but it is horrendously expensive). 

Many thanks for that I’ve read loads of reviews but personal recommendations are always the best.

Leatherman Rosin looks great, I wanted to try Gaston Brohan Oak Rosin or Arnold Gregorian Oak Rosin but can’t find it anywhere. 

Kolstein Rosin gets hit and miss reviews, I can’t stand Rosin all over the strings so I’ll give Kolstein a miss. 

Also depends on the music you're playing... 

I tried Leatherwood rosin (40% & 50%) for a season.

Found it only "OK" for lighter styles like Mozart, Haydn, Purcell etc but it "gave up" playing heavier rep like Shostakovic, Mahler, Stravinsky, Brahms and Berlioz etc. 

Best I can describe it was after about 20mins of heavy playing my bow hair looked like a ribbon of sellotape...! No individual hairs, just all clumped together in one shiny band. Very strange. 

I've spoken to a few bassists and they have found the same.

Weather it works better with gut I can't say... But I've stopped using the stuff. 

Can't comment on the oak rosin... Not tried it. 

Plus all my basses have metal strings, no gut. 

Have you tried Carlsson rosin? Looks like Nymans but not as sticky. I used that for a while, great stuff. 

Also an American guy I used to work with swore by Wiedoeft rosin but again I haven't tried it. 

I'm back using Pops because it's cheap and easily available (although it does splatter the front of my nice 200yr old bass with dusty white spots!!), and as you say it's very prone to melting and escaping out of its pot all over your freshly ironed black concert shirt... Grr! 😂 

I’m mainly a jazz double bassist but I practice a lot of classical pieces Bach, Stravinsky, (solo parts) a piece Xavier Foaley, a couple of Tango pieces and some old Cumbrian folk tunes at home both arco and pizz. I play in an original folk/American band and play a fair bit of arco arrangements with the violinist. I was playing French bow but I have since developed ME/Fibromyalgia and have swapped to German so I can actually hold longer than 5 minutes.

I was using EP Weich’s with the Pops and that was great but I wanted a better pizz sound so I have the mixed steel and gut setup.

Does that help in terms of suggestions 

• 7 months later...

I’ve finally settled on Leatherman Amber Rosin 50% & 60% the 60% is plain gut Barque style playing, the 50% is for heavy orchestral.

I’m now playing a full set of Pirastro Chorda’s Carlos Henriquez signature strings I tried the 60% this morning and it’s the one the Pirastro Rosin is useless in comparison in this context. 

I’m trying to play arco in a more of a Paul Chambers jazz bowed solo context that classical.

IMG_5130.jpeg

Edited by bassadder