Why become a member? ×

Darkglass Exponent 500

msb

New amp day , picked up for a nice price on kijiji . Initial impressions are somewhat overwhelming , this is going to take some time to learn . Downloaded the Darkglass suite but not recognizing my device yet. The presets sound great though , I think this will be a stay home practice head as I don’t tend to spin the knobs too often on the gig. 
This thing is a knob farm! 
edit

Got the Darkglass Suite loaded and have been at play , there’s five channels you can load up with various pedals and cab sims , and all of the settings can be tweaked with an iPad through the suite. This is wild , but the starting point is nice clean and transparent . This is wild technology ! I’m going to be wrapping my head around this for a while …

48C3EA8C-F1CD-4755-8324-E6D64A17846E.jpeg

Edited by msb
  • Like 4

After about a week playing with the Darkglass Suite it’s pretty much all fallen into place , there’s still moments of discovery. Most of the presets I’ve loaded are ones I’ve created. My only complaint is I’m still fiddling more with what the knobs can do than simply playing , but there’s twenty something pedals and effects available. It does take time to digest all that. I’m wondering what Darkglass might add to the suite next.

And after all that playing around , the presets I enjoy the most emulate a nice old school warm woody thump.
It’s that classic bass sound. It will do it.

• Like 1

Yes indeed , and then re-assign specific effect functions to the knobs on the amp so you can quickly readjust things. So with each preset you can change what the knobs control , except for gain and volume. And it’s easy to see what functions the knobs now control with each preset.

There’s a library of twenty two effects in the Suite now. They say more on the way… 

You can load five presets at a time , and store as many as you can write. You can store and load them in seconds.

• Like 1

It made landfall quite North of us but the hurricane was enormous , and we had one ripper for about twelve hours. Lost power for a day , we’re back but much of the city is still dark. A lot of trees down. We had one large branch land on our shed , that’s the only big cleanup for us this time , when Juan hit we lost twenty trees. No structural damage to the house. Lucky.

The Northern parts of the province got nailed. It’s a declared disaster area. The storm was severe enough to rip the roofs off buildings , severe flooding. It’s left quite the mess.
On the other hand whenever a big tropical storm moves up the coast the surfing community come for the big waves. They come from all over the Eastern Seaboard. Those maniacs surf the North Atlantic all winter…

1 hour ago, msb said:

I suspect it is , but I can’t confirm. You do have access to both pedals in the Suite. 

Sorry I wasn’t clearer! What I meant was do the Microtubes 500, the Alpha Omega 500 and the Exponent 500 amps all sound much the same when played clean and that what distinguishes them are the overdrives included? I 

I can’t compare them , I just have the Exponent. And no dealer in the region. 
 But I suspect the basic amp stage is the same although the Micro and Omega have six band slider eq and the Exponent has four band eq.