Why become a member? ×

Another licence plate build

3below

The second bass of this type (I also confess to having built a 3 string version for mrs 3below).  Aiming for fretless, 30.75" scale length and hopefully 7lb or thereabouts.  Routing done before assembly this time, makes life much easier.  Only 3 new mistakes so far, none of which are show stoppers.  Chose to rout the preamp recess much more deeply in this version, then decided I did not like it.  Sorted by inserting some wood strips and re-routing.  I routed the the inner hole after the outer recess, it would have been much easier to do the inner through hole first.  Routed a small clearance slot for the preamp cable on the inside at the wrong end.  There are now two cable clearance slots.

1-600.jpg.6c21fe1730549a45d894b96b50f42ea8.jpg

2-600.jpg.5a939f62c6944cb28ad3773d3d6c35dc.jpg

The above shows a rough idea of where this is going.  I will use an extension bar at the back to move the strap anchor to a suitable place, not going for the 1lb of lead this time. A year ago I bought some katalox fretboards (harder than ebony and far cheaper).  Tried planing this today with the electric hand planer.  Not good, it cracks easily and the planer pulls divots out even at 0.25mm depth.  Will get the Scheppach  planer/thicknesser on it next which will do 0.1mm.

Being idle I started to glue the box up without using my dowel jig.  I had forgotten the joys of wrangling butt joints and wet titebond.

Edited by 3below
  • Like 5

Sapele (mahogany) body & neck.  I purchased some reclaimed snooker table parts several years ago.  I should have bought more, it was an utter bargain.   The bridge design will be an adaptation of the ideas here : https://liutaiomottola.com/instruments/libellula.htm. I am aiming for a more 'uprighty' bass sound, what will transpire is another thing.

• Like 1

You know when you have one of those days that you would like to press the reset switch.  Due to a stupid blunder on my part (doubly stupid since it is a mistake I made a long time ago on another build).  Undecided at the moment whether it is quicker to start again or to 'cut and shut'.  Having had time to reflect I think a repair may be possible. 

Edited by 3below
  • Sad 1

On 27/09/2022 at 13:48, 3below said:

You know when you have one of those days that you would like to press the reset switch.  Due to a stupid blunder on my part (doubly stupid since it is a mistake I made a long time ago on another build).  Undecided at the moment whether it is quicker to start again or to 'cut and shut'.  Having had time to reflect I think a repair may be possible. 

Oh, that's a shame.  But we've all done it :(

I've said in the past that it's not so much that we make less mistakes the more we build, as much as that we get better at fixing them!  Repair sounds a good option :)

• Like 1