Why become a member? ×

Unusual locking tuners

KingBollock

Sorry to post this here but this is the only forum I am a regular member of, and I know many of you also play guitar...

I have an Ibanez RG7321, which came with locking tuners. To be honest, I don't really know how to use them properly, I have been winging it since I got the guitar. I just can't find anything about them online. All searches that include the guitar name, just lead to people asking about installing locking tuners. Which is odd, because the guitar is supposed to come with them already, which mine did (though it was second-hand, and I know it was messed about with, because the previous owner had replaced the pickup selector switch).

The tuners lock from the front, where there is a flathead style slot. If there is no string installed, the post can be freely turned on its own. As I screw it in, I can see a post coming up to fill the hole, obviously to lock the string in place.

Does anyone know what I am talking about? I can't even find out what they are called, which makes searching for instructions difficult.

Edited by KingBollock

10 minutes ago, Bigguy2017 said:

So they don't lock with a wheel at the back but with a screwdriver slot on top of the string post?

As it's an Ibanez I'd guess Gotoh  - are they like these ??

Gotoh SD91-05M HAPM Locking 6L N – Thomann UK

A picture would help....  

Thank you so much!

Those aren't the exact ones, but from that I was able to find out that they're called Magnum-Lock tuners. Now I know what to look for, I have found a few videos that show how they work. Thanks again. this will take a lot of the stress from changing the strings on this guitar, I never knew if I was doing it correctly.

They sound like Gotoh locking machine heads.

I have on my Gus G1 Guitar. By far the easiest locking machine heads to use IMO.

To remove the strings, simply put something in the slot at the top of the post to stop it from turning. A small coin will do fine if you don't have a suitably large screw driver. Then turn the button as if you were slackening off the string and the internal pin will descend releasing the string. 

When you fit new strings simply pull the string through the hole until until it is tight, and start turning the button as if you were tightening the sting. The pin will come up to grip the string, at which point the whole post will start to turn. You should be able to get the string to pitch with about half a turn around the post which means less dead length and quicker to reach tuning stability.

HTH.