Why become a member? ×

Catalinbread 5f6 formula pedal .

petetexas

1 hour ago, BassmanPaul said:

That seems a lot like carrying Coals to Newcastle. Use the amp as it was meant to be used. If you want to sound like you're  using a Bassman then buy one.

A 50's batsman is big heavy and expensive - and underpowered by todays standards - so outwith a studio environment that's not the greatest idea...

Slightly simplified, a modern bass amp is a preamp feeding into a power amp - and a lot of the same class D modules are used in them.... if you get a separate preamp, in this case in a pedal, and stick it in the effects return you can use it instead of the inbuilt preamp... which can be quite fun if you want a different tone or sound for something... 

18 hours ago, LukeFRC said:

A 50's batsman is big heavy and expensive - and underpowered by todays standards - so outwith a studio environment that's not the greatest idea...

Slightly simplified, a modern bass amp is a preamp feeding into a power amp - and a lot of the same class D modules are used in them.... if you get a separate preamp, in this case in a pedal, and stick it in the effects return you can use it instead of the inbuilt preamp... which can be quite fun if you want a different tone or sound for something... 

I know all that! LOL I've owned a couple of 50W Bassman amps in the last sixty odd years I've been playing. It's never been one of my favourite amps.