Why become a member? ×

Can you get IRs with effects?

tayste_2000

Was wondering due to having limited experience with IRs but can you get any with effects on them to make up for the lack of an effect on a particular pedal.

Specifically I was looking at https://www.nuxefx.com/mightyplugpro.html which looks like a great upgrade to my mp2 but it still doesn’t have an octaver, just 5 different choruses 🙄 but you can load in IRs so I was wondering if you can get IRs that are recreating speaker cabs but with an effect on them?

Not really.

An IR doesn't really process a sound wave in the same way that an effect does. It's more of a complex multiband EQ.

No control over any settings within an IR because it's just a wav file. If you wanted to move a octave control by 1% on the dial - you'd need a new IR file that captured it. So you'd need 0-100%. So that's 100 files for just moving that 1 control. Then if there's another control - 2 controls with 100 positions each = that turns into 10,000 different IRs to try out to find the one you like. 3 controls... 100x100x100 - that's a million IR files to audition to find the right settings.

There are some IRs that simulate broken speakers and that sort of thing but that's as far as it goes.